question about IUD ? adult content

Ok i'm pregnant but my dr told me to start thinking about birth control since i told her i wanted to make sure i dont have any more kids after this one since it's my 3rd ... @ age 23 & since i'm too young for them to tie my tubes i need a for sure method one lol i'm thinking about getting the IUD they gave me 3 options of IUD's a 3 yr. , a 5yr. & a 10 yr. one so now im confused or maybe i'm thinking too much lol... but i think ill get the 10 yr one .. also i heard they can hurt you SO when you have intercoarse that itll feel like a needle piercing his penis ... so now i'm like ok who cares about him as long as i'm protected lol. but theni heard that they could get lost is that even possible ? since they gave me a paper to read but it doesnt have a lot of information...

mommyof2chasmin

Asked by mommyof2chasmin at 7:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Health

• I haven't heard of them hurting. There is a chance he could feel it, but if that's the case, you can ask to have the strings trimmed, which is very simple. I've never heard of one getting lost! They can be expelled, meaning it comes out, but the risk is very low. I also haven't heard of a 3 year option, but it may be new. Any of them can be removed at anytime. You can have one in for 2 years until you're 25, and you can get your tubes tied. Be aware that IUD is actually even more effective than a tubal ligation. The 10 year option, Paragard, is hormone free, and some women experience increased cramping and bleeding during their periods. Mirena, the 5 year option, has hormones, similar to the pill, and can lessen bleeding. Some women have difficulty breastfeeding with it, but it is generally considered safe for breastfeeding women. I never had any issues with BFing and Mirena. I hope this helps! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• thanks it does i had soo many questions =) but i think i'm leaning on the 5 yr one then lol if its less bleeding and stuff lol
    mommyof2chasmin

Comment by mommyof2chasmin (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i am a young mother (22 with 3 children) and i had it in after my 2nd child and it hurt my husband and it also hurt me as well...i was very swollen and sore hurt to even move lol but i had it taken out 2mts of being put in needless to say im not trying to scare you it might be ok with you....for example my sister had it done a month after I and she has no problems still and that was 2 yrs ago!! just do some really good research befor you decide for sure!! and if you have a gut feeling dont do it then dont i should have listened to mine....hope this helps!!
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My first one I could feel inside me, so I had it removed, which is what you can easily do if you don't like it. It's a super simple procedure. Most women do like it, and it's actually the most common form of birth control among healthcare providers!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I've had my Mirena for over 2 years now, & I love it! My man could feel it at first, he said it was poking him, but that's gone away. I've heard a lot about the strings softening over time, so I guess that's what happened. I've never heard of one getting lost, there's nowhere for it to go. I did cramp for about 2 days when they put it in, & I bled for about a week, but I haven't had a real period since. I can feel it sometimes, when I sneeze & all my muscles contract, but it doesn't hurt or anything. It's been absolutely wonderful for me, & I plan to get another put in when this one expires! Feel free to PM me if you are curious about anything else, since you said you're thinking about the Mirena. Hugs doll!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• thanks [ KA91 ] well i heard it could go up in ur uterous & get lost so i was shocked and scared lol
    mommyof2chasmin

Comment by mommyof2chasmin (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Well I have had the 10 year one for almost 3 years now and love it. It is non hormonal which is what we wanted since I have issues with hormones. The strings can be cut too short and poke or too long and poke he guy, but most the time that can be fixed by trimming them. I had some major cramping for about 5 days after insertion, but have had nothing since. I have 2 day periods that are VERY heavy, but they only last 2 days. It can't really get LOST in the uterus. You are supposed to check for the strings each month and if you don't fell them then go see the doc so they can do an ultrasound to see if it was expelled or is in your uterus. My midwife said it would be best if removed if the strings got lost, but it didn't need to be. They would open you up like a c-section and fish it ou.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i've had mirena for about 3 months now, and i love it. the only thing is, i bled way more than i thought i would. but that's just my body getting onto a regular cycle, because i was never regular to begin with. i bled for about a month a half, but it wasn't heavy or anything, so i guess i can't complain too bad. i had slight cramping after i got it put in, but nothing serious. my husband said he could feel it at first, but it seems that the strings have softened, and my doctor also told me they start to kind of curl or something??? either way, definitely make sure you do research and ask your doctor any questions if you're unsure about something!! you can have your iud taken out at anytime, too.
    aydensXmommy

Answer by aydensXmommy at 10:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• it can't get lost... it's not the bottomless pit in there! lol! chances are if it did come dislodged it would come OUT... my friends have had them and HATED them... i have never... i've also heard they can be painful... for you AND him... others have bled for months and months...
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i have mirena, mostly to control heavy bleeding, it's great. i have 3 kids and had my tubes tied due to a medical condition. i haven't had a period in months. i had implanon and it was terrible
    snuggly13

Answer by snuggly13 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011