Can you give an 11 and a half month of herbal tea to relieve gas?

I have a question for you ladies. My 11 and a half month old daughter (will be 1 on jan 5th) is getting over the flu. So, this means now that since she was on the BRAT diet in combination with getting over the stomach flu...she is bloated, horribly gassy but can't get much out...isn't pooping the greatest and is very uncomfortable.

I have tried all the usual stuff to relieve the discomfort. Gas drops, sipping water, rubbing her tummy, fiberous foods to get the poop to come out.... and not much is working. Her tummy is huge and she is not a happy camper. I know once she can fart at least she will feel much better.

Anyway, I was looking up home remedies for relieving gas and one of them was Chamomile tea. I was on another website where a few moms said that they have been giving their kids Chamomile tea since they were a year old. The only tea I have that has Chamomile in it is sleepy time tea by celestial seasonings. Is that ok to give? Or does it have to be straight chamomile.

I hear it is great for tummy upset and gas... if you ladies have any other remedies for my little one that would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance mamas.

MommyLuvsNate

Asked by MommyLuvsNate at 8:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i would give her grip water it will help also apple juice will let poop flow lol
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Warm apple juice at that.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 8:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'd try a little of the sleepy time tea....I doubt that it will hurt.....gripe water is good, too. When I was in the hospital plain lipton tea helped me....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'll try the warm apple juice...It's just hard to even get her to drink juice. She really only likes water...it's hard to get her to drink anything else. But I will give it a shot!
    MommyLuvsNate

Comment by MommyLuvsNate (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Maybe I could try like a teaspoon or half of one with sleepy time tea. I just wasn't sure if it would hurt her.
    MommyLuvsNate

Comment by MommyLuvsNate (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• you can but do not do it as strong as you would do it for you.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:10 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I've never used gripe water, but have heard it is very effective. Trouble with herbal remedies, they are not regulated, so you don't really always know how much you're giving, but I would think a tsp. wouldn't. Congratulations by the way that she likes water, not many kids do. Have you tried putting her on her back and gently pushing her knees up to her stomach? That always worked for mine. Also mylicon has drops for babies.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would call the dr and ask about the tea.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Another great solution would be to warm some water and place a peppermint hard candy in her bottle/ cup and let it dissolve. Peppermint is great at soothing upset tummies and gas issues.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• The peppermint is a great idea! Never thought of that one. Thanks for the tip!
    MommyLuvsNate

Comment by MommyLuvsNate (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010