What do you do about a child who is a BAD sport

He's almost 9 yrs old and he throws a huge hissy fit when he loses a game. Its horrible...any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• 'The other team/player likes to win to.'
    Anonymous

• Honestly, I'd tell him that if he's going to act like that, he won't be playing the sport until he can start being a good sport. Explain to him that part of playing a game is occasionally losing.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Let him suffer the consequences for being a bad sport. Don't comfort him for losing, walk away from him when he is behaving that way, etc.....don't give him any positive attention in reaction to his behavior.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I would say 'If you can't learn to loose you won't ever win because you won't get to play.'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Make him do time out in front of his friends when he throws a hissy.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 8:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• time for him to quit
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Discuss the fact that the game is being played to have fun together. This helped my sons and it is helping with my grandchildren. We discussed this everytime before the game started. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• just explain to him you win sometimes and u lose some times and its ok
    kameo7

Answer by kameo7 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My son has this tendancy. We use the 'You are behaving badly right now. Please go to your room until you've calmed down. When you're done with this, you can come back.' Then we let him self-regulate his own hissy. It works really well... and we get far fewer hissies this well because he's learning self control, and he's doing it in a setting where he can't irritate the rest of us!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Do you play board games? Those are great, private ways to practice being a good winner and a good loser. I have seen parents who think their child can't lose a little game at home and just let them win, but kids need to practice losing -- just like they need to practice winning. Show him the appropriate way to win and lose those games by your actions. He'll probably love the time spent playing games and hopefully get better at winning and losing for the more public times.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 23, 2010