swimming lessons

Has your child had swimming lessons & at what age? My son is almost 20months old now and im thinking about doing some this summer! Any advice?

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son and I did a mommmy and me excersie swim group. When he was 2-3 we did a Mommy and Me swim lessons. When he turned 4 he started swimming lessons. I sat in the chairs and watch. He is 6 and LOVES the water.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Go for it! Do some research now. We did it when DS was about 10 or 11 months. He wasn't exactly doing a backstroke, it was more about water skills and having fun at that age. It will be awhile yet before they are just in the water with the instructor. You'll likely be in the water, too. We had a great time! DH was in the water, too, his parents came to watch, we all had fun!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Definitely do it. My three sons who are way older now all did the mom and me swim class and the swim lessons. They loved it and so did I!
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 8:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We've done classes with parent and child for the past 3 summers with our son. He started when he was 9 months old. He really liked the classes and they were a good way to get him used to the water since we don't have a pool.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 9:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Ummm mine didn't go until she was 6. BUT, she is always scared to try new things and she finally decided she wanted to give it a try. I plan on sending my 3 year old this summer.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My son and my husband (his dad) are taking swim class after the first of the year. My son will be 11 mos. We have taken him 'swimming' as a family and he loves the water so I can't wait until he gets to go to class. (P.S the class is at the Y indoor pool)
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010