Is it normal?

My daughter is 2 yrs old, she's been grabbing at her genitals since she like like 1 1/2. Every time she does it, I say no, and pull her hand away, but she won't stop.

RachelSutfin

Asked by RachelSutfin at 8:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Totally normal. Most kids go through that phase. It's exploration. Try not to teach her that it is bad, but instead, that it is something to do in private.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Why do you tell her no? It's normal for them to be curious! Plus, it feels good to her. It's not a sexual thing at that age, it's more about curiosity. We teach our son that it's okay to touch when he's alone, and in private. We also teach him to wash his hands afterward!
    The bigger deal you make of it, the more she'll be curious about it, and if you shame her about it, it will haunt her later. People who feel shame about their bodies and the pleasures they can feel end up having major relationship issues, and self-confidence issues.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not to worry. Don't draw extra attention to it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Funny, usually its the boys that have this problem, lol. But no it's not unusual and I have heard that its something they will grow out of and dont worry.
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 8:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My daughters started doing that at about that age. It is totally normal. As everyone else said just teach her that is something you do in private...sounds crazy, but that's what my girl's pediatrician said. My 3 year old actually humps things, its quite disturbing as a mother to see. I was upset and concerned, but her doctor once again told me its normal.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Haha, sounds like my Mimi, she does the same thing. I have to hurry to wipe her poo because I know where those little fingers are about to go when I take her diaper off.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Nanixh I have the same problem with my dd.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have to do the same thing! I have to like hurry and wipe her so she doesn't touch her poop, even though im trying to potty train her. she hates the potty >.<
    RachelSutfin

Comment by RachelSutfin (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think its ok, when its at home- shes just exploring. I just hate when they do it in public. :\ embarrassing!
    MommmaTara

Answer by MommmaTara at 10:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• yes very normal, all my girls went thru that!! Just dont draw any extra attention to it. shell get over soon!! Good Luck
    beeandlacismom

Answer by beeandlacismom at 11:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010