prep for 1st ultrasound at 6 1/2 weeks......UPDATE on U/S!

I wasn't given any prep instructions for my 1st ultrasound tomorrow. It is going to be a transvaginal one as I am so early. They are doing it early to confirm how far along I actually am. Would it be a good idea to go with a full bladder like they suggest for your 12 or further along U/S?

Well, I did go with a full bladder....just in case as I knew that I could just 'pee' if I had to.  She wanted to do an abdominal U/S first and found the yolk sac as well as a very blurred but beautiful sight (our little grain of rice!) the baby!  She then had me empty my bladder and she did a transvaginal U/S and saw the little baby much better nestled in my uterus as well as the heartbeat!  The baby is measuring at 6 weeks which is where I thought I was at and all is well.  What a wonderful sight after our loss in June.  We just pray that this little one sticks as we lost our first pregnancy at just under 13 weeks.  They say it was probably a chromosomal problem and that we should be okay.  One never knows.  We can only hope and just be happy that our baby is okay so far.

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 8:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no need. They will be using a 'wand' and inserting it into you and looking through the cervix this time. Later they will be looking through your belly and a full bladder will help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No, they actually don't need a full bladder for a transvaginal. I had to go in for an ultrasound and they couldn't get the right pics, so they told me to go to the bathroom (such a relief!!!) so they could do it transvaginally.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 8:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• when i had vaginal ones they told me to go with a full bladder, when they were satisfied they let me empty my bladder and then they continued--having a full bladder just helps them see things better, so i would go with a full one and ask when you get there, better to be prepared
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Nope make sure your bladder is empty.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• bladder totally empty!!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 11:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would say empty bladder so you don't pee on them.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't think it matters that early. WHen I was (supposedly) 10 wks they couldn't find my baby's heartbeat so they did a t/u/s. This was after I had peed in the cup. They could see him just fine. I was actually only only 7 1/2 wks but they were able to see him without a full bladder.
    aikenchic

Answer by aikenchic at 2:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010