Permission Slips to Recite Pledge of Allegiance? *UPDATE*

Brookline School to Clarify Pledge Policy After Furor over Permission Slips

Superintendent says school won't enforce parents' selection on form.

http://brookline.patch.com/articles/brookline-school-to-clarify-pledge-policy-after-furor-over-permission-slips

patriotic

Mass. School Requires Permission Slips to Recite Pledge of Allegiance

A public school in Brookline, Massachusetts is bringing back the Pledge of Allegiance. Except now, in a move that suggests the recitation and its words are controversial, the school is requiring parents to sign a permission slip so their kids can participate.

“It’s uncomfortable. The pledge is a promise, and I’ve always taught my kids to think very carefully before making any promise. It’s not a decision I want to make for them,” parent Judi Puritz Cook, who has two sons at Devotion School, told the Brookline Tab.

According to a letter sent to parents last week by Principal Gerardo Martinez, the school is implementing the Pledge in order to comply with state law.

“In order to meet the state legal mandate for public schools and to support our learning expectations, I will, once a week, as part of my morning announcements, recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag,” he wrote in the letter. “Under our Constitution, neither teachers nor students can be mandated to participate in this exercise.”

“I urge you to have a conversation as a family to help your children understand why I will be reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and to support them in feeling comfortable and confident in the decision on whether or not to participate,” Martinez added.

According to the Tab, it seems many parents aren’t upset that the school is requiring special permission to recite the Pledge, but rather they are concerned the slips could mean parents are imposing their beliefs on their children.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/mass-school-requires-permission-slips-to-recite-pledge-of-allegiance/

Is that weird or what?

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 8:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not at all. If they want to go back to the original pledge, then I would be all for it being recited in schools... It was changed in 1954.
    The point of the statement, is teaching children to have respect for any oath, vow, pledge they speak. That they not learn to simply pay lip service.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We still have the Pladge of Allegiance in our school and no one has a problem with it. I can't picture people having a problem with it period.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• According to the Tab, it seems many parents aren’t upset that the school is requiring special permission to recite the Pledge, but rather they are concerned the slips could mean parents are imposing their beliefs on their children

-----------------
    I copied that from the article. THAT is reasonable. I think that is the gist of the whole issue. Parents CAN be pushy and impose their own beliefs and prejudices on their kids.
    But then I don't think they need "permission slips" either. Lol.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I am the proud graduate of Brookline Public Schools (Pierce Elementary ('82) and Brookline High ('86)! LOL And I'll be the first to say, I think it is absolutely pathetic that the Pledge was ever taken out in the first place. And the whole "permission slip" idea is a joke. In Mass, they require parents permission to recite The Pledge of Allegiance, but do NOT require permission to teach Kindergarten students about "alternative lifestyles!" Sounds pretty balanced! *sigh*

In my school district here in PA, we recite The Pledge EVERY morning without fail!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• For Pete's sake. Some people..........
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• This is crazy! We say the pledge every morning in our high school as well as a moment of silence for students to pray, sleep, finish homework what ever
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The really weird part is what's supposed to happen to the kid's whose parents don't feel comfortable signing the slip? Are they expected to sit quietly every day during this part? It singles people out, which is the opposite of what a group recitation is meant to do, which is to unify and empower. This idea is also off for the younger kids, who don't understand what any of those words mean. It needs to be taught contextually and meaningfully, not as a reaction to these or any other times. As noted, the "under god" part was officially added in the 50's, most would say as a reaction to the anti-communist times as lorded over by McCarthy, and this is the part most people have a problem with, given the whole "freedom of religion" thing. The main problem is that at this point, it's so controversial, why force it? I think school are smart to teach it as part of u.s. studies, but not use it as a daily recitation.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 9:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree with Lori. There was no need for it to have been taken out in the first place. And to need permission slips, to pacify a few wierdoes, is downright absurd!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Good grief. I'm beginning to understand exactly why there are so many young people who don't care about their own country, have no loyalty to their own country, don't care about our government unless it does something for them ~ and knows even less about it, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder ~ seriously ~ how so many mentally flawed individuals are in charge of teaching children anything. As far as I can tell from this article, this one shouldn't be trusted with teaching a child how to tie their shoe. He seems better qualified to mismanage a flea circus.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Are you serious? People are complaining about that now? Who cares if you have to say "under God". That's been in the pledge for years and years. Just becasue you say doesn't mean you're having religion shoved down your throat.
    People find any little thing to complain about now a days
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2010