Do you think Children that go to Sunday School have better Manners?

I have a friend who is a Teacher at a public school and also volunteers at Sunday School.

She says you can tell the difference between kids who go and those who do not.

What do you think?

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 9:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think going some place where you need to dress up, act respectfully and mind your manners does help children learn manners and social graces- now this can be any place that does the above- for me growing up going to church did all of that for me, for others it may be going to Temple, for some it could be going to visit friends, others it could be meals out- who knows-but I do think that exposing kids to situations where manners matters is a good idea. We have become pretty casual in my family, my kids are polite but they do not get much of a chance to practice good manners- might be a good idea for me to get them out some place other than casual events ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think it's a matter of parenting, not once a week Sunday school.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No. If a child is taught manners at home, Sunday School or No Sunday School isn't going to be a factor in whether or not they have them outside the home...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Children who are held accountable for their actions, and learn to behave properly have good manners. That is solely the result of good/poor parenting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I am a sub teacher & have taught in both public & Catholic schools. I can tell you that there are stinkers in every school, regardless of religious upbringing. Manners start at home & need to be reinforced daily!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Going to Church/Sunday school does not mean they will have good manners/behavior. It's what they are taught at home that matters.

I know some kids who attend church and Sunday school every week and they are the most rotten, disruptive little brats I've met. I should also mention they are the pastor's kids.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not at all. My nephews have gone to Sunday School every week for their entire lives and they are two of the rudest little beasts I have ever met.

Manners are taught AT HOME, not in church.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The manners a child learns and displays are learned at home first and foremost, not in School or at church. Good behaviors are simply a reflection on good parenting. Bad behaviors are a reflection of uninvolved or poor parenting.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think manners are a dying art.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think that the kids whose parents stress manners probably have better manners. Looking at my group of friends, it may be the kids who go to Sunday School, but not in every case! Just out of my group, the family of kids with the best manners does happen to go to Sunday School.... but so do the kids with the worst manners!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010