calling all cooks/need advise asap:baking soda vs powder

I bought baking powder instead of baking soda for a cookie recipe.

can I substitute baking powder instead of baking soda (and not add salt?)??

.....

also my husband insist we need to use electric beater and I say "a fork is fine to beat stuff up with"

hendrickson

Asked by hendrickson at 9:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you'll need more baking powder and it may affect the taste), but you can't use baking soda when a recipe calls for baking powder. Baking soda by itself lacks the acidity to make a cake rise. However, you can make your own baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar. Simply mix two parts cream of tartar with one part baking soda.

Got that from http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm
    xv35ballx

Answer by xv35ballx at 9:23 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• They are both leavening agents, but they cannot be used interchangeably. Go to your neighbors and get some baking soda.

A fork will work, it will just take a little extra energy. Ask your husband what he thinks the pioneers did before electricity. I usually use a wooden spoon.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• As for the fork vs electric mixer, it depends on what you are making, & how fluffy you want it. For cakes, I recomend a mixer. For cornbread or pancakes, a fork is best because you need to leave some small lumps in order for them to come out as intended. Hope that helps.
    xv35ballx

Answer by xv35ballx at 9:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• You will need to triple the amount, so for 1 tsp baking soda use 3 tsp baking powder. Also there may be a slight difference in flavor.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 9:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Take the advice of someone who's tried it before, just to see what wyould happen - GO GET THE RIGHT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry I cannot help you, but I hope someone above is a baker! This is the exact reason my cookies never come out - it is too flippin complicated! LOL Good Luck to you!!!!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Baking soda is good. I use a fork to, much faster.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 1:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not sure.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• XV has it right.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Food chemistry can tell you how to achieve an effect that your looking for but it can not tell how messed up the taste and texture will be. Try it if you want but it's not going to be the same as if you used the correct leavening.

Electric beater vs. Fork. It depends. You can use a fork on biscuits and be just fine if not better. But for cakes, an electric beater or a whisk is better than a fork. Not if it's cookies, it depends on the kind and the amount of liquid in the recipe. The wetter the cookie, better off you are with an electric beater.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2010