How long should I keep trying to pump breastmilk?

I have a 2week old son and while I was at the hospitital I was breastfeeding(with nurses help). My first day home I couldnt get him to latch on properly so I decided to pump and substitute formula also. I have never got more that 4 ounces out of both breasts combined, and now its like 1.5-3oz maybe.Should I keep pumping and get him the little milk I have or avoid the stress and just bottle feed with formula?

lisad2121

Asked by lisad2121 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• PUMP! There is nothing better for your baby than breast milk, even if it is not a lot. Try to get him to latch again. Pumping is a hassle and in my case, it made me make too much milk. Now, I breastfeed my baby exclusively and almost never pump. Good luck! Hang in there! It is so hard, but just remember, you are doing it for your baby!!!! And, if you have to stop the breast milk thing, do not worry. Formula is excellent, though not quite as perfect as breast milk. Also, try a formula with milk proteins that have been broken down. They are easier on the baby's tummy.
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 6:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• If you must use formula, I recommend Infamil Gentlease. Worked so well for my kids. Regular formula hurt their tummies so bad they screamed with gas pain.
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 6:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My daughter is 2 weeks old, and I have stopped trying to get her to latch. I have flat nipples, and my right nipple is shaped differently than my left. Even the lactation consultant at the hospital said that I would have a harder time with my right nipple getting her to latch. I have decided that pumping is too inconvienient. I know that sounds selfish, but I don't always have someone here to grab her while I was pumping. ANd, if she needed something, I wasn't able to get it for her right away. I use Similac Advanced btw. I've just stopped pumping, even though I notice I'm still lactating a little. If your breasts don't hurt, and you still check to see if there's any lumps, I'd say call your consultant, but it sounds to be like you're done. Good Luck! :)
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Breastfeeding as natural as it is doesn't always come naturally. Latching on is new to you and baby so it will take a lot of practice. Don't stress about the amount of milk that you pump. As long as you are nursing frequently (at first) your baby will get the nourishment it needs. If baby is content after nursing, you have nothing to worry about. When I first started breastfeeding, I was pumping 5-6 ounces, but as my body adjusted to my baby's needs I started pumping less.
    TonyJosMommy

Answer by TonyJosMommy at 7:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• You will know if your milk supply starts to diminish if baby is still acting hungry after emptying both breasts. If that happens, keep nursing frequently (it takes 2-3 days for your body to respond to increase in demand) and in addition to that you can try the herb Fenugreek. It will help boost your milk supply. I take it every night before bed with my prenantals. Don't despair...it just takes practice. Just stick with it...I promise it is worth the bonding time with your new child and not to mention the health benefits of breastfeeding.
    TonyJosMommy

• if you want to continue breastfeeding there are products out there called Mommy's Milk. or something close to that.. that can aid with increasing lactation. Also, if you pump more than just when the baby would feed, (I was told to pump every 1 1/2 to 2 hours) it increases demand on your breasts for milk, and you should start to produce more. I pumped from 3 weeks to 6 weeks, it just became hard when we had to leave the house to go do something and I didn't get home to pump every 2 hours. If you are going to supplement, go with what your baby likes best, it may take a few days for him to adjust to it and he may have different poopies, but usually you can tell within a couple days if the formula will agree with him. We use the Nestle GoodStart because it has the broken down proteins which DD seems to handle better. Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Try letting him latch again. Now that he's older, his mouth is a little bigger he might be able to latch and build your supply. If that doesn't work, formula is Ok. breastmilk is best but it's ok to use formula too. I only make it 4 weeks, myself.
    Anonymous

• Definetely keep offering the boob! It took my son and myself almost a month to get it down. I used a nipple shield (I have flat nipples) and it worked for us. Don't give up: it might take a while but it's totally worth it.
    Also, always remember that the amount pumped is not an indication of how much milk you're producing. Nothing but our kids can bring down milk effectively. I highly recommend you check out www.kellymom.com

GOod luck! Hang in there!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I am also trying to pump. i have to because i went back to work. I wish i had the problem of too much milk. As far as the formula goes i use enfamil prosobee soy formula. His doctor said there is less chance for a milk allergy and it is easier on their stomachs. Don't know if this helps. It is stressful but I want to atleast breastfeed through cold and flu season. I am using a manual pump but 6 more days and i get an electric pump! I am so excited! Man priorities change huh?
    Liz0808

Answer by Liz0808 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• well the problem is the pump.. for starters when you first get home your milk isnt fully geared up... it takes some women almost a month to totally get full milk in... also, the baby is what stimulates more milk... the pump is artificial and cant stimulate a babies mouth.. and the milk you need most is the hind milk. The more you nurse your baby the better.. if you can nurse your baby during the day and pump for nights, that is what worked for me... its totally up to you, but if you want help, lactation consultants are available and usually will make house calls for help..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 9:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008