How can I get my siblings not to worry about buying gifts?

I'm 46 yrs. old and I love giving gifts at Christmas and throughout the year "just because". I buy for friends and family (not expensive things) every year. Every year I hear the samething; "don't buy for us because we can't buy for you", and if you do buy for us it will make us feel bad. I buy not expecting anything in return and they just don't seem to get it. It's actually starting to put a damper on my Christmas for my family and I. Does anyone else deal with this? I feel like telling them that if they buy out of oblagation then start a Christmas Club bank account for heavens sake!

DansBabe

Asked by DansBabe at 9:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• You could tell your siblings to do what you do.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:54 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• You obviously have a great big giving heart! But plz try to see it from their point of view. I feel the same way when someone buys for me when I didnt buy for them. And w/ this economy, times are tough. Now knowing how you are, I do agree that maybe they could plan for it & get you a little something. (even if you dont want or expect it) Perhaps you could draw names instead of buying for everyone. If you are still in that giving spirit, donate to their fav. charity in their name.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My mom is like that. I just don't give her anything for Christmas. I send her a box of unrapped stuff and make sure she gets it before the holiday..... this way I tell her that it was just because I wanted to.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Our family does a gag gift exchange. We all get together and bring a gag gift, then draw names, and we vote on who gave/got the best gag gift. It's fun to get together and laugh about some of the things we come up with. One year I gave my brother a painting that a man painted with his penis. He wasn't happy he got it, and burnt it. lol
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• How many siblings do you have? Dh has five siblings. We cannot afford to buy for everyone. All of them on the other hand can. They are all still single and have decent jobs. We have jobs but also have 3 kids and a mortgage. Anyway, we exchange names. So dh and I have two of his siblings to buy for instead of 5. They all still buy for everyone but understand and are fine with us not doing so. Maybe they would exchange names.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Love all your answers. I have only 2 siblings and 5 nephews and we have tried drawing names before and something always goes wrong or someone doesn't show up; then one child does without. I'm a single mom of one child and live on a strict budget too. But I know this day is coming for 300 days prior and so I pick up things throughout the year for the kids. If a person plans ahead there shouldn't be a problem. Or just say "thank you" when someone hands you a gift they picked out just for you. Besides one reason it upsets me they act like this at Christmas is because I see them spend there money on dumb things or harmful things throughout the year; like cigs, beer, partying, 3 pair of sunglasses because there on sale, or here's a good one - a new ball cap and tenny-shoes to match everyother month. Christmas isn't there priority, but it is mine - so they shouldn't put a damper on my joy of giving.
    DansBabe

Comment by DansBabe (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2010