crying during a confrontation of probable wrong-doing ....

guilt/remorse/embarrassment or offense/frustration for being accused?

child is 6 BTW

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• no one likes getting in trouble.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I had a little girl in daycare that would cry when we caught her doing something wrong. In her case, the crying was to distract us from the wrong doing and feel bad for her. While crying she would say, "but so and so did this to me" and it could have been something that happened days before and had nothing to do with why she was in trouble now. She was just trying to get out of trouble.
    Some kids also cry because they are embarrassed, they feel bad, especially if they are not in trouble that often. I think those that are not good listeners on a regular basis cry for a distraction. Those who are not in trouble that often cry because they feel guilty and also feel that they disappointed you.
    Anonymous

• It shows that the child recognizes that the behavior was wrong and at the same time is frustrated or embarrassed for having been caught. The biggest challenge is staying firm and explaining the consequences. I always ask my daughters...even after catching them in the act of misbehaving....did you just rip a page out of that book (or whatever the offense may be) to be sure that they are learning to tell the truth. From there I ask why it was wrong and we discuss what a fair consequence would be. Not easy, especially with the big blue eyes and the crocodile tears, but it seems to work quite well....most of the time. LOL
    FOCOMomma

Answer by FOCOMomma at 11:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Maybe fear :-) Who wants to get in trouble. Not me :-)
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 11:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• some do this some don't my dd will start crying from the min you catch her. With her its often a distraction thing sometimes an I feel bad but mostly a shit I got caught. She's my sneaky one. When she was younger she also would cry if you said "NO"
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010