not agreeing with the vet....

i love my cat's vet, but she is against trimming my kitty's back claws. he has no front ones (dont worry, never goes outside, you couldnt push him out if you tried!), but his back ones are soooo long he is always biting and pulling on them and if you touch his feet he pulls away like they hurt. and when he scratches behind his ears or elsewhere theres always a scab. i try to trim them myself but he freaks out. any advice? there isnt many vets in my area

dez1379

Asked by dez1379 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I don't know very much about cats, but I do know that when my dogs nails are too long, it hurts them to walk and maintain a good balance on slippery surfaces. I would have them trimmed by a groomer and just not mention it to the vet.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• That is ridiculous that the vet will not trim your cat's claws! Actually, that would Piss me off bad- you aren't asking them to remove them! Anyway, try calling some groomers- the groomer i take my dog to; grooms cat's too:) Good Luck!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• thanks, i think i will definatly try a groomer--why should my furry ball of joy be uncomfortable!
    dez1379

Comment by dez1379 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Try that new cat scratch board, or a simple emery board.
    MusherMaggie

Answer by MusherMaggie at 12:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Find a new vet, that is something that the vet should be able to do for you.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That is strange that the vet won't trim your cat's nails! If they get too long, they could start to curl under and start digging into the foot pads! I agree with contacting a groomer.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Never heard of a vet that won't trim a cat's nails! I trim both my cats at home, but they are calm about it -- I know some cats like yours are not so cooperative.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 10:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Did the vet tell you why he/she wouldn't trim them? That sounds crazy, I'm just wondering if there was a medical reason. We have two cats and we trim all of their nails ourselves. I think they're more comfortable when they're trimmed, not getting stuck on things or having to walk around on nails that are too long. They aren't out in the wild when they're domesticated, no way for them to naturally trim them down without help.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• dh does our cat, he just lays her on her back and holds her between his legs, not tightly if course, and thats it .. but then again our cat will jump thru hoops for dh LOL
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That is really ODD! My cat had nails that would curl under if not kept trimmed and the worst ones were in the back. My vet always trimmed them and made sure I kept them trimmed as well.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010