Are there any other moms out there who noticed some warning symptoms in their 1year old and now a few years later have a diagnosis, if so can you elaborate for me?

I have a set of 15month old Boy-Girl Twins, I know not to compare them because they are 2 different people, but my girl twin keeps to herself, doesn't always respond when I call, (sometimes it takes a lot of work to get her attention and even then the only thing that will hold her attention is the TV.) She is constantly banging her head, or bouncing herself back and forth on things, sometimes it seems as though she is not hearing me, also her eye contact can be very off, as in she doesn't look at me. I mean I am probably just panicking, but to me she seems in her own little world.

Jaime W.

Asked by Jaime W. at 10:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Discuss this with your pediatrician. Be sure he is listening. Early intervention can be very important.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• yeah, def let the pedi know...maybe they will have her evaluated for early intervention...i agree with tootoobusy about the importance of it!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Thanks guys! That is definitely my plan, just want to hear if there are any other moms out there who have been in this situation? Thanks!
    Jaime W.

Comment by Jaime W. (original poster) at 4:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• There are a lot of different things that can mimic autism, so start with your pediatrician and get a full physical. A hearing impairment, even a minor one, can cause the symptoms you've described, as can a number of other medical/developemental issues. You can also contact your local Early Intervention provider for an evaluation. You do not need a physician's referral for EI & evaluations are typically provided for free.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:03 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would for sure talk to the dr about it. Some of those behaviors might just be her, or it could be something that needs to be looked into more deeply.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Talk to your dr and explain to the dr what you have to us,. They will have the best awnser.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:46 AM on Dec. 30, 2010