How would you go about getting an infant (a month old) out of the habit of always wanting to fall sleep in someones arms,be rocked to sleep, or wanting to be nursed to sleep when not even hungry?

breakin the habit

mychocolatedrop

Asked by mychocolatedrop at 4:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry about it so much with a one month old. It's pretty normal for them to want to fall asleep that way. I would say at around a year, if he's still doing that, then you might want to start breaking the habit. But this early they're pretty much programed to fall asleep that way.

I used a sling when my daughter was a baby and a swing when my son was. Both worked well and allowed me to do other things while they slept. I think I prefer the sling though because she just seemed to feel more secure and safe that way.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Try rocking him in soemthing, instead of holding him and rocking him. if you ahve a swing that reclines for newborns thats great, or you can try a papason style bouncer seat, or they have basinets that rock things liek that, my daughter was that way, and we got her the papason style bouncer that vibrated, that way she would go to sleepw ithout one of us havign to hodl her, helped a ton. good luck.
    TheCrystalBall

Answer by TheCrystalBall at 5:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• You cannot "spoil" a baby that young. There is nothing wrong with holding him to put him to sleep.
    lilystar

Answer by lilystar at 11:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My Daughter wouldn't let us put her down until about a week ago before she fell asleep and now she will rock to sleep or lay in her bed and dose off holding her pasifier. I don't think you can spoil them because right now it is a whole different place then what they are use to and they need the comfort and wormth to feel secure about going to sleep!
    zlcjones

Answer by zlcjones at 11:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• i would rock him until he was about to go to sleep then put him down and stay there wiht my hand on his chest, cooing softly. after a while of doing that, maybe stop with the hand holding...but i don't htink you can spoil a baby and if i were you , i'd enjoy the rocking and all for all its worth.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My baby is the same way. Yesterday I fed him and changed him but when I laid him down, he screamed bloody murder. He did the same today. I think he just likes to nurse to comfort him. He's only a month by the way.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• try a binky, sucking is soothing for babies.works with mine when she wants to suck but itsnt hungry
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2008