When to introduce the bottle to a breastfed baby!?

I'm due on Jan 17th and I am taking 6 weeks off of work. They say that you are supposed to wait at least 4 weeks before introducing any other type of nipple to the baby. I was just wondering what everyone here did and how did it go? Did your baby go back and fourth with nursing and bottle feeding no problem? What type of bottles did you use? I just went and bought the first years breastflow bottles! Thanks :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess at 4 weeks. My daughter is breast feeding and pumps a few bottles for when she goes to work and her husband feeds her ( or I do when I babysit) . She likes the bottle---no problems---she doesn't mind , just so she gets to eat! LOL. I don't think it is ever a problem to combine breast and bottle feeding ---particularly if the baby has a good appetite and it is necessary when Mom works.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Hi mom I have 3 girl,my first one. I sartre bottle in 1month all,second one at 3month and my little one she breast feed and bottle very baby is different,and depends how is they apetice
    Pushunga

Answer by Pushunga at 11:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My dd refuses a pacifier or bottle, unless someone else feeds her the bottle.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not one of my kids took a bottle very well at all. When they did, I could not be anywhere in the house! I would start when you feel you have a good supply and in plenty of time to have her adjust before you go back to work. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Every baby is different, as far as what bottle they will take. Most often, Mom can't even be in the house when the bottle is offered, or the baby will refuse. Even then, it may take some work to get the baby to take the bottle. The breast is just so much more appealing! My son wouldn't take a bottle unless he was STARVING. But I was only working about 3 hours at a time, and I waited until he was about 5 months old to do that. So it wasn't a catastrophe. I would also nurse him before I left. Hopefully, your baby will figure it all out. Good luck, and congratulations!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• With my daughter (she is 3 now), when she was born I HAD to bottle feed her because she did not want to wake up to breast feed. But AFTERWARD, I just breast feed her for about 3 months, then I switched her to bottle feedings. ALSO, when you are looking for the nipples for the bottles make sure you look at the level of flow, (meaning each nipple is NOT made the same, the holes on the nipples are smaller or a bit larger depending on the level of flow: 1, 2, 3, 4,) Since 4 is higher than 1, then the baby would have to work harder to get the milk to flow from the nipple at level 4.
    Vikz_85

Answer by Vikz_85 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My daughter went back and forth just fine from the start. I was very anemic and a zombie, so he would feed her pumped milk in a bottle and she did fine..........she always seemed more excited for boobie though! :)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I had 8 weeks off after my son was born because I had a c-section. He took his first bottle the first day he went to my MIL's when I went back to work. She told me his first one was a little crazy because he wasn't used to the milk coming out so fast. But now he's 8 1/2 months old and switches back & forth with no problem. He still definitely prefers the boob though. :)
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2010