TMI question about breastfeeding

When I was younger I had my nipples pierced and they told me that I was not going to have any issues Nursing my children. Well with my Daughter I would leak milk out of the piercing holes in my nipples (to all the nursing Moms out there you know that breast milk is like gold to a nursing mother) It would frustrate me so much when I would have a nursing pad FULL of breast milk. I was just wondering if anyone else had had the same issue and/or what they did about it. When I got pregnant with my Daughter is when I took my nipple piercings out so they were still freshly open at that time. It has now been over 5 years since I took them out so I'm hoping that it will make a difference this time around cause it has been so long. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do about it to make it better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had my nipples pierced when I was 21...hated it and took them out immediately. OUCH! Anyway, I had my daughter at 29 and there were no issues with breastfeeding, so you should be just fine!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• It just makes me nervous cause I wasn't okay with my first!! My breasts would just constantly leak milk rather than keep the milk in!! Being that it has been 5 years now I hope it goes much more smoothly....I want to Nurse SO bad!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I didn't have my nipples pierced but I leaked horribly. One day I leaked through the breast pads, two shirts, and a sweatshirt and it was running down to my pants! I would squirt over 6 feet when I took my boob out. It would squirt all over the babies faces. This happened both times I nursed. I don't think it had anything to do with the piercings.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i used to date a body piercer and work at his shop and after being pierced for 5 years you are able to take them out for a good period of time without them closing if all else fails. also i think that the first time you tried to nurse you were freshly pierced and i believe that has alot to do with it, being that you are completely healed now you should have no problems if you do decide to keep them in. i know tons of moms with piercings that nursed with no problems at all. good luck, im sure you will be fine!
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have never had nipple peircings, but I still leaked pretty bad at times.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Mine leaked horribly with my first and I am not pierced. I just had a lot of milk. My second and third babies I had no issue at all.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I never had my nipples pierced and I leaked also. I think most women leak to a certain degree. I agree ashisamom I would squirt out at least 6 feet and it was horrible. I was 21 I was a new mom for the 1st time and I was taking a HOT shower. All of a sudden my nipples started SHOOTING breast milk everywhere. I screamed. My sons grandmom came in the bathroom and she laughed so hard shee peed her pants. The whole bathroom was covered in breast milk.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No nipples pierced here.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I was never pierced but leaked like an old lawn hose!
    I was still in high school when I had my ds... I can tell you that as a high school senior nothing was more embarassing than walking down the hall a week after returning from a 6 week maternity leave, than to have our smoking hot quarterback Tony tell me that my boob was leaking!! (mind you, it was leaking between a washable nursing pad, a disposable nursing pad, a nursing bra, a turtleneck shirt and a sweatshirt!!!)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Oh.. and btw... it had been less than an hour since I had pumped a good 6 - 8 ounces in the nurses office!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2010