I think my DS needs a sibling.

He always wants to play with mom and dad, and if we are not playing with him he will just watch tv, he feels alone. When we are doing our own thing he wants to play, but you know, I have to run the household and though I play with him a lot during the day, at dinner time I cannot play with him and DH works all day and gets home tired and will play with him for at least an hour, but usually goes to bed before DS and I, who are home all day, and stay up to clean up after dinner..
Lately DS just wants to be with us all the time, and, I donĀ“t know if he just feels lonely of what? This happened to anyone else with a single child?
Any advice?

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would not have another child just b/c you want him to have someone to play with. That might backfire. My mom had my brother when I was 20 months b/c she said I needed a playmate. We hate each other and never speak to each other.

I have an only child. He is 4.5 years old. He attends preschool, plays well by himself, and has a great imagination. He is also in sports. We socialize him but also encourage him to play by himself. Good luck! My son loves being an only child and he will openly tell you that.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I was an only child and loved it. I learned how to play by myself and had a very vivid imagination. I don't feel like I missed out on anything. I have two girls ages 6 and 7 and they still follow me everywhere begging me to play with them all day. I play with them about two hours a day but I still can't get the housework done without them fighting and needing me. I think it is easier with one child. They have nobody to fight with.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i'm having the same deal with my son, but i'm really not too sure about what to do about getting him a sibling...you can't rush things lol
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Ugh. Mine does this and is 7. We have no plans on giving him a sibling. Have him help you cook at dinnertime. Take him to indoor play areas, bounce houses, McDonald's play place, the library, children's story times to get time with other kids. Maybe get him involved with a class (gymnastics, maybe martial arts - though many make you wait till 5, peewee sports) to let him run around and play with other kids.
    Anonymous

• My daughter grew up as an only child. She is 18 and I just had two babies since 2008. I literally had her girlfriend over at our house almost every weekend because she was the same way. I was lucky that the friend's mom allowed it though and you can't expect most parents would. You can try and plan as many play dates as possible though. Even if you have a sibling, they won't be able to play together for quite a while! So encourage him to bring home little pals and throw camp outs in the living room, etc. Good luck!
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Do YOU want another child?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If YOU arent ready for another one, dont have one. Go find him some friends, join a class with him.. dont go popping out another human for his amusement. (<-- I meant that in a joking way, but you cant really tell on here LOL)
    YOU need to take care of the baby, changing, feeding, buying everything... not DS. Have a baby when and if you want one.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Don't have a child just to give him a sibling. It is really not worth it. Most (obviously not all) only children grow up and love the fact that they were onlies. My two best friends are also only children and none of us would change it for anything.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• i would say it entirely depends on u. if u are planning to have a second child and want it when your first one is at the certain age (certain age meaning how ever old u and your DH had planned him to be when going for the second one) then i say go for it. don't do it for your son. kids always find games and distractions to keep them busy. have the second one when you are actually ready
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I didn't mention in my above answer that my 2.5 year old is an only child, and I have NO plans to have another baby.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2010