Does anyone else think it's sad that they have all these video games

for fitness things and people do this rather than just sending their kids outside to play? I just saw an ad for Nickelodeon Fit. It showed hula hooping and jump roping. Unless it's winter and snowy, I think it's sad that they'd do this with a game system and not outside where they could actually do it.

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Marge wants the kids to do hedge trimming and lawnmowing and they don't want to, but then they go to some event where they have virtual hedge trimming and virtual lawnmowing and she can't pull them away!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I don't think its sad. It is better than the kids sitting and playing a different video game. My kids play outside when it is nice out but they will still play the Wii on those days. My butt is not going outside before noon. They will play the Wii for hours before I take them out.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think it's like everything else - moderation. That said I'm not a huge fan of video games. A realtive is getting our kids a gaming system for Christmas and I'm already dreading the arguments I'll get when I tell my son to shut off the game. We let him play a game every now and then on the system we have, which is still perfectly fine, but only for a certain amount of time. I think the fitness games are good for winter when it's too cold to go out but some of the games are just so strange. I watched my husband play one of those Sims games where he did on the game what we do in real life from cooking to going to work. I just don't see the fun it that.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• No, actually, I think it's really great. My kids love those kinds of games. We live in a small place without a yard, and if my kids go outside to play, they're literally playing the street. We don't live in a high-traffic area, but still... Not everyone lives in an area where they can "just send their kids out to play". And sometimes it's just too hot to play outside, or too cold, and I think games like these bridge the gap perfectly. Also, I know several children who aren't exactly the run around outside type, but they love playing these kind of active video games. So no, I don't think it's sad at all. I think it's fantastic that they make these kinds of games.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 11:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I am going to admit this year was the first really cold November and December both months in a while. So wanting to be outdoors alot, is for me... equal to not having food or air. So now it's inside a lot. I do see so many benefits to these games for mostly children. I am more inventive, but sure enough once they start to play and I see how much fun they have " wii- ing " it would be my turn!

I'm waiting for the virtual knitting!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I think it IS sad BUT given how obese our society is, if there is anything that will get kids moving then I'm for it. Still, I don't own any gaming devices and my kids are really athletic. That could always change though.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I am sorry however i love our game systems my kids go outside too, however sometimes its a really big help 4 them to be entertained by there games
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:32 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My kids have a Wii but spend way more time outside playing, more so in the summer than winter. In the summer they are outside from like 9am until it gets dark (sometimes longer) only coming home to use the bathroom or eat. They are rarely allowed to play their video games.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:10 AM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I don't think it's sad, but find it to be another resource for people to use to stay healthy. As long as the weather is fair, my kids would pick outside over it any day.
    They're good for me as well, as I don't have the extra time or money for a babysitter to go to a gym or go outside in the snow or rain or whatever...
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:28 AM on Dec. 26, 2010