My mom has her favorites

I could never choose favorites, with my four children. We recently had a fire and lost everything. My oldest is 15 he is a quit kid and doesn't cause trouble. I asked my mother if he could stay with her for awhile until we found a place. However she said no. We are staying with cousins and they have 2 kids, it is a small house and my son wanted to go so I thought this would be the best thing to do in this situation. Believe me I would have not even asked her if it was a desperate situation. My sister however is another story. She has an apartment in the same town as mom and her daughter, my 13 year old niece, stays with mom practically everyday. She never goes home. My mom will even hel pay my sisters bills. My mom didn't even show up after the fire to even offer to help with anything, and we escaped with the clothes on our backs (pjamas). I even offered to help pay for food every week to feed him. I thought mom and I got along great, but more and more i am starting to notice where my place is in her heart. (outside the rib cage)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm so sorry for your situation. I can't really offer advice, as I am also NOT the "golden child". Try to keep your chin up, though. Things will get better, and be thankful that no one got hurt. :-)
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• We don't get to choose our parents. It's sad how you're being treated. Just try as hard as possible not to repeat her behavior with your own children. I hope God blesses you in the midst of this tragedy. I'll be praying for you and your family.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm so sorry to hear :( My mom has her favorite child too and its not me!! She (like your mom) helps my sister with everything and me nothing!! I'm sorry to hear about the fire and I hope things start working out for you GL
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• So sorry about your problem and glad your all safe. Well even if your son wasn't or isn't your Mom's favorite or you either, she should have under this circumstance taken your son in and let the niece gone home w/her Mother. It's so sad what some Mother's and Gr-Mothers do to their children and GR-Children to hurt them, and don't realize the damage they cause. I'm not sure I would have been able to keep my mouth quiet if I had been you, and you would have had every right to get it off your chest, you have enough on your plate. Just remember, GOD, helps those that helps themselves, not that you want to, but have to right now, surely GOD will help you in your time of need. Your Mother may want to remember also there is such a thing as karma.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My mom has her favorites
    Favorites needs to have since you were been noticing a material, pets, person, place, to my mother her favorite material is located in the kitchen, her favorite pets is a dog, her favorite person is a Moviestars, her favorite place is her house all about that is nature favorites not only my mother but all of the people of the world^ ^;...
    clarizamaria

Answer by clarizamaria at 12:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• They say they don't favor another child. But in reality, a lot of mothers do. My mother says she loves me and my sister equally. But it was all about her and never me. I do understand the feeling. If she feels that way, let it go, there is nothing you can do about it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I totally know what you are going through. My mom has 2 kids- me and my older sister. She ADORES everything my sister says and does because she has a lot of money. She has a foster child(because she's bearen because she's overweight and also ruined her liver as a young adult abusing otc drugs). My mom treats her foster child better than my 2 that are biological. And whenever I speak to my mom she doesn't listen at all. I can ask her 10 mins later what I said and she has no clue but she knows EVERYTHING going on in my sister's life. It's really hard on me and has been for years. To top it off, my mom favors my son over my daughter BIG TIME. She spends 100 + on ds a WEEK and it's things like video games. DD gets nothing, only at birthday and Christmas. I've talked to her about it until I was blue in the face. I'm done with it. The Bible says that even if your parents forsake you God will adopt you. He is really my parent. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I am the same way. My sister is the "perfect child". She always gets everything and gets to go on all the family trips but I am never invited. I am sorry.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My mom has her favorite, too. I have three sisters and one brother. He is the youngest and my mother's favorite. After my grandfather, her father, died, my mother put her mother, my grandmother, in a nursing home and sold my grandmother's house. All I wanted was my grandmother's washer and dryer; she wouldn't give me, either. She gave them both to my brother, along with a car, which she insisted that he needed because he was going to college, at the time. My husband was employed, at the time, because the company that he worked for moved far away from where we were living at the time, but she refused to buy us a car.
    shortcake120

Answer by shortcake120 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2010