why is having a husband so much better than a SO???

i don't get it i have been with my man almost 8 years we have 2 awesome kids. and yet i get this all the time why aren't you married? to me it's a piece of paper. i don't need a piece of paper to make me feel loved or committed. so what's the big deal ladies why is marriage so important to some people??

humboldtmama21

Asked by humboldtmama21 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• I was about to say you are probably common law married BUT before I made my self look like an idiot I decided to look it up. Really interesting link
    http://www.unmarried.org/common-law-marriage-fact-sheet.html
    Turns out it's an urban myth you are common law JUST by living toggether but you might want to check if you fir inthe peramiteres anyway. I found it kind of neat info. About you original problem. I am finding that nodding and smiling blankly and changing the subject works best on all stupid and/or offensive questions!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• OMG are you sure you're not related to my S/O lol. I've been with him for eight years too and we have three beautiful children but aren't married either. We have the same take on this as you do and it's funny because not too long ago, a female co-worker of his said the same thing to him and he responded the same way you just did!!!! KUDOS TO US lol

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Oh it's supposed to be more "socially acceptable" to marry the father of your children or the man in your life. And if you're a christian you're supposed to be married too. My hubby's parents kinda flipped out when we wanted to MOVE in together.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Marriage is gods plan and that is why everyone makes abig deal about. I think if youve been together 8 years have two healthy kids and your happy why ruin it. Sometimes marriage makes things worse. By being together but not being married i think people feel like they are still there own person and when you get married that person sometimes gets lost. just be happy dont confuse it.
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• For me, I prefer marriage in my life because of my personal faith. But it is not my place to tell you what you should do. If marriage hold no value in your own beleifs, then I don't see a reason for you to take part in something that you don't beleive in.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• see we are not religious in any way. we are native american. and believe in a greater spirit and well i should have known religion would be the main answer. thanks
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Because being married legally you as the wife have LEGAL rights that you DONT have as a SO.  If your SO dies, his family members, meaning brothers sisters parents GET his estate, NOT you. Also you get to be on your hubby's medical insurance and as a SO only his child does. There are MANY more financial advantages to having a hubby than just a SO.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Vbruno - LOVE the bikini turkey.

Excellent answer as well.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I dont know but my hubby wanted to get married..I told him lets just date for the rest of our lives lol..I think marriage is just a piece of paper too..But we had to get married bc he is military and i wanted to be with him where ever he got stationed
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with vbruno
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2008