How can I get a 1-year-old to soothe herself to sleep?

Right now I rock her or feed her until she falls asleep. I have tried just laying her down in her crib but it breaks my heart to hear her cry. Are there any ways I can get her to sleep on her own without making her cry?

MommyOfKeKy

Asked by MommyOfKeKy at 11:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A dog or cat sleep in her room if she isn't allergic.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• The ONLY way I could get my daughter to sleep was just to let her cry. After of a week of putting her in her crib and going to take a shower she learned it was time to sleep. Don't let it break your heart she has to learn sometime.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Does she have a special blanket or stuffed animal that she likes to carry around? Sometimes a fan for some white noise is helpful too, lulls them to sleep a bit. Listening to them cry is heart breaking, no doubt about that, but usually after a few nights the time gets to be less and less.
    FOCOMomma

Answer by FOCOMomma at 11:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Binky, silky blanket
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I used to sit in the other room crying until my son stopped crying and fell asleep. This is natural and only means you are a good mom because you care. It may hurt you to do it, but you will be really glad you did it, believe me. My son sleeps through the night like a champ and has since he was three months old simply because I put him on a very strict schedule and only allowed variations when he was sick.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• a blanket?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2010