How do you plan ahead to be a homekeeper/stay-at-home-mom/wife?

MouseofBearClan

Asked by MouseofBearClan at 11:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• My dh and I lived on only his income, when I was still working. My income would go into savings. So, when we did have children, 4 years later, we were able to make the transition quite easily.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't seem to get to plan--only crisis management
    ROFLMAO

Answer by ROFLMAO at 11:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. Try living on just his pay check and see how it goes. You can spend a little of your pay check on child care, some fuel, and work clothes since those expenses won't exist or they'll at least be lowered once you stop working- but other than that it should go into savings.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Even though we both always worked, we always lived off of one income only (and it was my husband's income, the smaller of the two) so that when I decided to stay at home, we not only knew we could do it but we had saved a great nest egg in the process.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my second child I knew I wanted to stay home, not to mention we couldn't afford to pay daycare on an infant and a toddler. So for the duration of my pregnancey I worked and banked every penny of every paycheck and we lived only on his check. I had to prove to both of us that we could do it. I budgeted, clipped coupons, etc and proved it would work. I worked right up until my son was born and then was able to stay home. We had a nice little nest egg put away with all the money I saved. It's almost been 6 years and it's still working for us.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Make a budget & compare to his income. Is it doable or not? Will there be money left? Are you coming up short?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Good answers, financially. Would also suggest long conversations of labor division. Maybe a weekend with that wee nephew of yours to get an idea about fulltime babycare... and things like living with mess and noise. lol

<3 you Mouse.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I started working a home business while I was still working a full time, regular job ... but just living on my income from mine & hubbys job. Then when home business is consistently making more than the "regular" job, then I quit the regular job and know that I still have that same income coming in from the at home job. All the while 1/2 the income from the business goes back into the business and 1/2 into savings.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 10:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Cut back on expenses, save as much money as you can, make sure the bread winner has a job that pays well.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I never did. I still work b/c I love my job.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010