Does your one year old

talks.Mine don't even blabber. He fully understands what we say to him and responds by pointing towards the person about whom the question is asked. When we ask him to call someone he just makes the sound ' oooooo' in order to call that person. We are really concerned about him as one of the children on our family (my SIL's dd) is hearing & speech impaired.

A11

Asked by A11 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i really wouldnt worry to much..generally, boys are slower when it comes to talking..hes understanding, thats all that matters at this point. you said hes only a year..thats still REALLLLY young..i wouldnt worry about it..but..next time ask your dr..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Yes mine all talked, in their own way, by one. However, some friends of mine children were later. Check with his doc.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i wouldnt worry u said he understands you
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My 1 year old was saying words not having a conversation with me but my friends 1 year old doesnt say nothing or point she just laughs an she has no teeth but i would wait and just say things when you give it to him - bottle or blanket- mommy or daddy :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 5:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Nope, my daughter was the same way. A month later she's talkin' her face off. Some just absorb all the info before they expell it! Especially if I give her a tiny bit of a sugary treat, or a special item like my cell phone, then she blabs away.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Our pedi said at one year they should be making repetitive sounds -- mama, dada, baba, gaga, etc. -- even if they don't mean anything. And babbling a bit. If you're worried, I would get in contact with your state's early intervention program. It's usually free of charge, and in most states they'll come to your house before the age of 3 so you don't have to go anywhere. At the very least, they can evaluate your son and let you know whether or not he does actually need help. Your pedi should be able to get you in contact with the right people.

As someone who waited, let me tell you that it's easier to do it now, when they're younger, even if it turns out that he's normal and doesn't need any therapy. At least then you'll know. And it's a pain to get through the system when they're older.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:07 PM on Dec. 24, 2010