my 6 year old broght alooooot of homework to do on her 3 weeks holaday, i think her teacher is sooo mean. don't you think so?

my 6 year old got packges of homework to do that her teacher give her to finsh in the holaday. can't she give them a break from all that work. i think it is alooot to do . i got scared to look at all that homework that my dughter brought to me and asking me to help her in all that. what you think of that teacher because she also used to give them homework to do in school days and aslo over the weekends. i think she is mean and that is hard for little childern to do all that work at home during the whole holady. dont you think so????

nadin8

Asked by nadin8 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe it is stuff that she is supposed to be doing in class but hasn't been getting done? When you go to parent teacher conferences tell her you disagree with the amount of work that she sends to be done on vacation.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Not in favor of it for that age, BUT next week when she's bored, give her a few sheets here and there.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• hmm, im actually the complete opposite..i WISH her teacher would give her more homework..(grade 1) she has never broughten homework home..so at my parent teacher meeting i had the end of november, i asked her if she could send home worksheets for dd to do..and she sent me a huge binder full of sheets...once dd has done them all (about 2-3 pages a day) she gets to bring it back in and pick a special reward..and she also got some to do over christmas break..i think thers about 8-9 pages..so i was quite happy with that...but my daughter is also not the brightest tool in the shed..so she needs the extra help so that she doesnt struggle..and her teacher knows this..and i just also found out, that they dont fail kids anymore...soooo if shes not doing good, every school year is just gonna get harder and harder..and i struggled sooo much in school, i dont want that for my daughter...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Lol. It depends. I would, as a teacher give them a lot of homework to keep them thinking about school and occupied at home... IMO I think this is great.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't think it's a terrible idea. A few weeks off can set some kids back and it's a good way to keep children on task. Is it homework to turn in or just fun things to work on? Bring it up at the next conference.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with it, my daughter's teacher did the same thing.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I don't mind homework during the week and on weekends. That is normal but CHRISTMAS BREAK?!?!?!?!?!?

What about the kids who leave town the day they get out of school to do things with family? I bet a lot of kids bring it back unfinished. I mean seriously what parent is going to tell their kid, "Sorry you'll have to watch us ski because you have homework to do."

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I do think it's crazy, I'm pretty sure I didn't have a stitch of homework until 6th grade. But, teacher is most likely doing this because it's what most parents and the school expects, and she will be seen as not doing right by the students if she doesn't. Three weeks is a long time, and some kids could slip. I bet some parents even complained it was not enough.

Ten minutes a day is a good amount for this age, in addition to whatever reading you do with her and she does on her own. At this age, it's really more about getting them started on good study habits and used to the concept of homework, cause it only gets worse from here on out! The lesson is really about time management and follow through. I'm sure the teacher would be fine with you spacing them out in order to enjoy the vacation, turning them in later or over time, or some other plan. Just make sure she's not behind and really need to be doing all the extra work.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 1:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It might was just work to do ova the break not actually for her to return to school.
    SweetEarth

Answer by SweetEarth at 9:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Children im china go to school all week than they come ova here and open hair store, nail salons and as you can see they are VERY SMART (people)
    SweetEarth

Answer by SweetEarth at 9:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2010