Does anyone out there have lactose intolerant children?

My 20yr old has been lactose intolerant for a couple of years. My 10yr old has been having trouble for about 9mos. Does this run in families? The school ordered her lactaid milk and she hates it!

Lyndy996

Asked by Lyndy996 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes, it can be hereditary. It's a lack of lactase, an enzyme to break down milk. If your daughter doesn't like the Lactaid milk, there are Lactaid pills she can take before she consumes milk that will help her. Most grocery stores carry it in the pharmacy/meds department.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• all lactaid milk is is regular milk with the enzyme in the pill added to it... if she doesnt like it its probably all in her head because it IS regular milk lol. i've done a comparison myself even though i rarely drink straight milk and none of my family can tell the difference. lactose intolerance is pretty common and can run in families. unfortunately it took my family YEARS to figure out i had lactose intolerance. i suffered with it as a baby and had been labeled "colic" because of it.
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 12:28 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I agree with TwoSugars. The Lactaid milk is the same thing, just with the enzyme added. It tastes the same to me, and to everyone I've served it to.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I am not sure, I don't blame her, I don't like the stuff either.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 1:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• The lactaid pills worked good for me. My daughter isn't and my sons too young to tell. But with both kids I was lactose intolerant during my pregnancy, how I HATED that. The pills are what my OB said to do for it.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My children have problems with casein (a milk protein). We've learned to avoid milk altogether. The best thing, really, since milk is not a health food at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No, My DH doesnt too well with a lot of milk. But he goes through constipation & what not if he has too much milk products
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• One of my DSs had to have lactose free formula but they are all fine now, guess he "out grew" it?
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 9:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I drink lactose free milk and agree there is no taste difference but there is also a pill form like others have said.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 11:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Thank you to everyone that answered! I've been considering getting her the pills- she loves cheese and ice cream!
    Lyndy996

Comment by Lyndy996 (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2010