Do you really take your baby to the doctor at first sight of fever?

I don't mean this to come out mean or condisending, but how often do you take your baby to the doctor?

My baby has a slight fever of 99.6 and has barely eaten today. Every mom said take him to the doctor or call the doctor. I don't feel that there is a need to get the doctor involved. My child needs a little tylenol and monitoring of wet diapers... which took me a minute to stop panicking and remember.

Don't you think you are exposing your baby to more germs by going to a clinic. Do you think all those unnecessary trips are driving up insurance costs?

I remember how I took my first child to the doctor with every little thing and the doctors always just sent me home with marching orders to keep him hydrated and give him tylonel if his fever gets high. Finally I stopped going because I realized a fever is the body's natural way of fighting an infection and unless it's 104 after a dose of tylenol, the doctors can't really do anything if it's viral.

Are you a mom that takes you baby/child to the doctor for every little thing? Does your insurance status effect how often you go? For examply, if you have PA/MA do you take your child to the doctor often?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Health

• If he gets a fever, I wait 24 hours and if it hasn't gone down at all I call the doctor. Not necessarily to take him in, but to see if there is anything I should do or give him.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't worry too much about a temp that low. Just let her rest, feed her what she will take, and give her lots of love. Unless she gets a fever of at the very least 101, most docs won't even see her, unless she has other symptoms.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• A 99.6 fever isn't considered a "fever" they'll turn you away. It's NOT good for a baby to go to the dr all the time.. trust me, I'm learning the hard way!! My daughter has been sick a lot since she was born she's 16 months old and has MRSA cause according to the Dr's at the hospital she's been on so many antibiotics so her body is resisting them and making her sicker.

Give your DS tylenol/motrin and monitor him. And a luke warm bath will help with temperatures as well.. Then in a couple days if he's not better and his fever isn't getting any better take him. Til then just monitor him!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If I feel like something is up, then i'll call the ped's office. They have you talk to a nurse before you can make any kind of an apt besides a well check up or shots.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If it's a bonafide fever that is persistent more than s day I'll call. I dong per say take them in.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 12:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I hardly ever take them to the doctor. Unless the fever persists for more than two days or is high, 101 or up, we just ride it out. I don't like throwing meds at every sniffle or cough.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I did what you are doing. Most of the time it was a viral thing, so trip would have been wasted. They would continue to nurse, even if I had to rouse them a bit. Situation was usually resolved in 24 hours or less. Exception--pain when lying on side, pulling at ear(s)-only happened once to each of them, but it was an ear infection both times.
    MusherMaggie

Answer by MusherMaggie at 12:28 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I hardly ever take him to the doctor. If I think its something I can't cure at home thn we'll go but other than that we fight whatever sickness he has at home.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I rarely take my children to the doctor, but they also rarely get sick. The few times I have taken them I usually end up feeling like it was pointless, all I've ever been told is it's a virus and has to run it's course and to keep them hydrated. The only time I've ever really been glad I went was for all things an infected hang nail. I put it off for a long time thinking it was probably nothing, but it was getting worse and worse. Who knew fingernail infections can get so serious he could have lost his finger if I waited much longer, it took nearly a month of strong antibiotics along with soaking his finger to clear it up. So, anyway, I can understand being cautious because sometimes things are worse than you think, but for a fever, no I wouldn't take them in.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No, I would call and talk to the Dr & See what they would do, and if they would want you to come in or not.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2010