Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Will they make me go to work before I get any assistance?

My husband works, I stay at home with my 2 1/2 DD and Im 6 months pregnant. Things were going fine until my husbands hours got cut and we are barely making ends meet.
I tried to look for some work but all that I could find would barely pay for daycare for DD, I dont want to work just for daycare money. I want to apply for some assistance like wic, foodstamps and maybe cash assistance. I heard that since Im unemployed they wont help.... is that true?? I live in Arapahoe county, Colorado.

I tried to look online but it didnt say anything about that


Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (16)
  • Not necessarily. WIC can definitely help. Call your local WIC office, and make an appointment, ASAP!! You will need proof of income, proof of address, and your daughter's birth certificate (I think that's all). Food stamps, I'm not sure, but having your husband working and kids should be enough. Same with cash assistance. Good luck!

    Answer by musicpisces at 12:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • They will help you as long as you're looking, you don't have to be working right now but you have to show you're looking for work.

    Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • You will have to work them off by going to a class or working at a job site. When I was pregnant I had to go to the senior center and help wash dishes. 2 days a week. Then after baby is 6 weeks old you will have to go to a class where they will help you find a job.

    Answer by badgirl44654 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • Sometimes you can get assistance for child care if you make under a certain amount. I would go and talk to your local assistance office about all your options.

    Answer by CABlonde at 12:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • You have to actively be looking for work or going to school if you want to get cash assistance. For food stamps and wic they just take in your income and bills and see how much you qualify to recieve it.

    Answer by jnsdrf at 12:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • If your income is within a certain bracket you can get daycare assistance for sure, I would check into that first. I think that WIC will help people in most any working situation as long as the meet the requirements. Best of luck to you!

    Answer by FOCOMomma at 12:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • Here's the number for WIC in Aurora, CO (303) 361-6010

    Here's the website for human services

    This can at least get you started.  =)


    Answer by musicpisces at 12:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • thank you

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • I doubt you will get cash you have to have like no income for that and they well in my state make you do career classes and stuff. you could easily get WIC and maybe food stamps. ALSO have you considered working when hubby is off...we had to do that when day care was too much for me to work.

    Answer by hill2 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • You can definitely get WIC without having to get a job, when my daughter was a baby my husband was in the army and I was a stay at home mom and we qualified, they never said anything about me needing to get a job, this was also in Colorado by the way. I don't know about food stamps or cash assistance though.

    Answer by pwebster12 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2010