Signs of ADHD

What are some of the Signs or Symptoms of ADHD? My sons therapist says that he may very well be ADD or ADHD but she doesnt know for sure til she sees him more. I just want to see if I can see what it is she may or may not be seeing.

MamaCass05

Asked by MamaCass05 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Difficulty focusing on a task for more than a few minutes (unless it's something that channels and rewards the constant need for stimuli like video games), impulsive behavior, fidgety (always on the move, hard to sit still).
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 12:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Hi I am Grandma Marilyn 565, I am a retired substitute, taught for 3 yrs full time. I renewed my teaching certificate and took a special education course in the process. I wrote a paper on the subject but that has been 15years ago.. I can tell you that the diagnosis of ADD is exemplified by inability to stay on task , flitting from one activity to another not able to accomplish or complete an assignment or directive. Thats a pretty simplistic definition. When you add the HD, the personality of the child is often uncontrollable inappropriate behavior, disruptive to a classroom situation or family life. To give you a positive turnaround. I knew of a young man with ADHD in an after school program, he received therapy was on medication(that is still very debateable by parents and doctors alike, I ride the fence on that issue) and his energies were directed to a musical instrument, the trumpet.Today is a pro jazz musician. Hope!
    Gramma565

Answer by Gramma565 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My son was diagnosed when he was 3. And put on medication. He could not sit still, he literally ran in circles, would run into walls. He couldn't stop talking, he couldn't sleep. I mean, the boy would stay awake until 2-3 in the morning. He couldn't play, with anything, because he couldn't pay attention to anything, he couldn't focus on anything.
    When they are older, school aged, their work is greatly affected. My daughter is ADHD as well, though not as drastic. So I didn't want to see it. She was not doing well in school, and almost failed last year. She just could not focus, she could not mind her own business.
    Your best bet is to get your son to see a psychiatrist soon. They make the diagnosis, and prescribe the meds. If you choose that route. We have, and it has saved the day so to speak. If YOU don't see any of these things, talk with his teacher. If his teacher doesn't either, you might want a new therapist.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Unfortunately, the signs & symptoms of ADHD are the same for many other possibilities. ADHD is way over diagnosed. It should be last on the list but is most often first. Food sensitvities/intolerances can cause the same symptoms. Before medicating for ADD/ADHD PLEASE rule out ALL other possibilities. See an allergist to rule out food intolerances.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My son could not and still cannot concentrate, focus, sit still for longer than 10 mins. And also goes from one extreme to the next. Its something you just notice that isn't right.
    eyezofblue76

Answer by eyezofblue76 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• His therapist said that a lot of people that she sees that are Bi-Polar were diagnosed as ADD or ADHD as children. Me and my sons father have both been diagnosed Bi-Polar. she said psychiatrists do not want to diagnose small children with Bi-Polar disorder because it is the most severe mood disorder there is.
    MamaCass05

Comment by MamaCass05 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, inattentiveness, impulsiveness, and extreme activity can be symptoms of ADHD ... they can also be symptoms of childhood and be perfectly normal. As a mother who has been through the wringer with an ADHD diagnosis for my son, I would urge you to tread lightly when it comes to this topic, as it has become the catch-all diagnosis of the day. Do your own research, do not rely solely on what teachers and doctors tell you, and thoroughly investigate any other conditions (of which there are MANY, cerebral allergies/delayed food hypersensitivities, and visual stressors, for instance) whose symptoms may be manifesting themselves as ADHD behaviors. This was certainly the case for my son, and I'm sure for many others out there. We were able to rid my boy of his diagnosis using a biomedical approach. Best of luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Impulsive behavior and like they are a running motor that cannot stop.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Impulsive behavior, running around a lot like they cant stop, cant pay attention
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:45 AM on Dec. 30, 2010