breastfeeding advice

Iv had 2 boys one is 9 one is 20months with both of them i attempted to breastfeed, with my first i stoped at 3weeks when i got masstitise so bad they had to surgically drain it in the drs office i was young (17) and was not about to go through that again so i quit nursing him. I attempted yet again with my second child and got to 5weeks and got masstitise again so bad i landed in the hospital for 3days on IV drugs and a surgical drain of that breast to. Got home stuck it out and got it again 2weeks later and had to have it drained yet again in the er. At that point I quit. Im pregnant with my 3rd and yes silly stupid me wants to try again lol iv asked around to my Dr and a LC and they all tell me the same thing its likely it will happen again but you never know and i should try if i want no one has a answer as to why it happens so bad to me. Anyone expierence this or had any advice on why it happens more to some then others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Health

• i think that if it's important to you to BF then go for it... not sure that there is really anything they can do... i would suggest pumping to the max... and working with a LC to monitor milk flow and your breast sitauation... maybe if you can catch it early there is less chance of needing such DRASTIC measures to care for it...
    congrats on #3 and whoo hoo for you trying to BF after all you have been through!
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Is there something they can give you or suggest to do to decrease the risk this time? I got it a couple of times and o my stars, that's so painful!! I wish you luck and congrats on your new addition!!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• First of all congrats on baby number 3! I have never personally had masstitise, but my mom did. I would def. Ask if there is something they can give you to help prevent it. Also, my mom didn't actually have to stop breastfeeding. Of course she couldn't give her milk, but she pumped it out until the infection was gone. She was then able to continue to breastfeed. Don't give up this time around. If you do end up with the infection you should be able to continue once it is gone. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I never had that, but I breastfed my son until 27 months. All I can say, is try, and if it happens, it happens.. but at least you know you tried and your baby got some breastmilk for as long as your breasts allowed. Maybe 3rd time is a charm ;) & Congrats!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2010