Has anyone ever went to physical therapy for shin splints? Did it work? How long did it take?

I was told I would need to to physical therapy most likely to get rid of my shin splints. I have had this problem for over a year and it's driving my crazy!

1bizzymommy

Asked by 1bizzymommy at 1:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Health

• "but custom made orthotics and good shoes will really be what will help" <<--- SO TRUE!!! I treat this on a regular basis and an orthotic or just adding some arch support to you shoes makes a WORLD of difference!!! You are most likely over-pronating and that puts a lot of stress on your shin muscles, etc. - have to PT eval your gait and get an orthotic to correct it!! If your foot doesn't hit the ground right you can have problems all the way up to your back!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Physical therapy can help you build up surrounding muscles to support you, but custom made orthotics and good shoes will really be what will help. Also, some people's bodies stop being cut out for jogging after a certain age, so if you're doing that, switching to non-weight bearing activities like swimming or biking can really help too. Mine turned into a stress fracture before I had to start doing all the above.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 1:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• When I was in basic training (Army) years ago I got shin splints a few times. I never went to physical therapy, I took motrin for the inflamation and it took about 1 to 2 weeks before the pain went away.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Nope, Good Luck!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:45 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• honestly shin splints are from lack of nutrition... check your diet, take some antiinflamatories... get some good shoes... and that's it... i've never heard of going to PT for shin splints...
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010