Is Forgiveness difficult for you?

Is it hard for you to forgive someone who has wronged you?
How do you go about it?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 1:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's hard sometimes depending on the severity of things. If someone cuts me off while driving, I can get over that after a couple of mins but if someone does something really cruel and vicious...that can take awhile.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not always. It depends on what the person did. I forgave my step father for physically abusing me and my brother (not sexual). It took a few years, but now I see that he really is sorry for what he did when I was younger and I DO forgive him for it. He is an awesome Grandpa to my kids and I'm glad that I could at least forgive one of my dads for treating me wrong! My bio Dad is a piece of work. He gets mad at me for the littlest things like having a baby at 19 and says he still doesn't forgive me for that! He also says that he ISN"T a Grandpa even though I have 2 kids! "Whatever" and "it's your loss" is all I have to say to him!!!! I dropped everything in 03' to go to Colorado and see him because he could have died and he could care less. As far as I'm concerned I don't think I'll ever forgive him. But others haven't done me wrong like that so I would reconsider.

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Most of the time when i cant forgive someone its really because i know it was partly my fault and i have to learn to forgive myself and say there is nothing wrong with forgiving. my power remains because i never forget
    dawnb70

Answer by dawnb70 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I guess it depends what the situation is what what the person means to me.

Something that DOES help me, is that I am a Christian and I remind myself often that Christ can't forgive ME if I don't forgive others. I know if you don't share my beliefs, that may seem crazy - and even if you DO share my beliefs, that's not always how people see it should be.

I've had times in my life when forgiveness hasn't come so easily to me and I find myself becoming wrapped up in bitterness and anger and turning me into someone I didn't want to be - so it's much easier for me to move past things.

Does that mean I can always just do it so easily? MAN, I wish I could say that it was so easy.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It depends, usually I am VERY forgiving but if things happen for then once it gets harder and harder to forgive.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not really. Only once was it difficult but I let it go eventually.

I just realize we are all human and all screw up and I look to the positive aspects of the experience and see what I have learned through it all. What strengths have I gained by it, etc.

That always helps me. I wont forget but the memory dims and gets filed in the back of my filing cabinet(mind).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:39 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It is difficult smetimes for me even when I know the Bible teaches that forgiveness is for yourself and not fr the other person. Because it FEELS like forgiveness is for the other person to me, However, as a previos poster mentioned I cannot be forgiven if I cannot bring myself to forgive so I try to find it deep within myself to forgive people no matter what they do.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 1:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• SaturnsMom - it DOES so often feel like forgiveness is about the other person, doesn't it? I think for me when I can remain focused on the fact that it really IS about me - it's easier.

Something I've learned the hard way (and had to re-learn a ton of times because I'm the perpetual person who seems to FORGET what I've learned lol).... is that I'll be all hung up on something and the "offender" is sure enough not loosing any sleep over it - they're just going on about their crazy way and living life and I'm the one sitting there stuck in the muck and mud.

Vicious cycle, isn't it?
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• umm yeah. I try not to not hold on to the hate and anger just remember that person is not to be trusted ever again. It really fucks me over because it messes with the next person in my life. Like carried baggage. :(
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 2:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Normally it's not difficult for me to forgive, but some wrongs are a lot harder to forgive and it's something I have had to work towards.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2010