Publishers?

Like many others, I'm trying to write a book; I'm only 26K words into it, but I think it's a solid story (romance). I know it needs some work (obviously needs to be finished) but I'd like some ideas for decent publishers, especially for first-time writers. So far, the only one I've found is Vantage. I've also found a list of 400 publishers, but it's hard to choose; how does one know which publisher to go with once their work is completed?

I put this in Money & Work because I don't know where else it would fit.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 1:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• The first step is to hire an editor to make sure your work is ready for publication. Then the next step is to get an agent. It is next to impossible to get published by any publishing house (unless it's the kind where you pay to self publish) without an agent. That's just how the writing industry works.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• See what type of book comes closest to what you are writing, at the library or book store. the books all have categories, under subheadings, and fiction, or non-fiction, truth, sci-fi, romance which this is, and is it more like one romance writer or another so the sky is the limit.

but for romance alone it's just who you live nearer, or if one is more apt to sell to a broader audience of readers.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 1:45 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think you need to find an agent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You will have a better chance of finding a publisher if you have an agent. I have a few links for you to check out and I will send them to you later since I am on mobile right now.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm sorry, I don't know any good publishers, but I just wanted to say Good Luck with your book!!! That's so exciting! I used to want to be a novelist, but I just don't ever have the time to write and its hard for me to get my ideas straight- like in an order that makes sense. I hope your book does well!!!
    Platinum_Mommy

Answer by Platinum_Mommy at 2:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2010