Need creative EFFECTIVE ideas for 20 yo child...

Ok so, I have this 20 year old daughter who lives with me while attending school. She is a bit on the lazy side and I have to nag her to do anything around the house, but that is status quo for her and always has been. The part that is really getting to me is the fact that she doesn't clean HER cats litter box as often is it should be done. I have to ask her to do it and because it is in her room, sometimes I forget - so it will go 2 days without being cleaned.
I have tried begging, pleading, threatening - everything to get her to take the initiative and do it on her own. So far - blah.
Anyone have any creative ways I can get the point across to her that she needs to do this on her own and not wait for me to get on her tail about it....?

wyldreams

Asked by wyldreams at 2:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Uh, tell her to start doing it or the cat goes?

Um......... start doing it yourself and leaving it in brown paper lunch bags at the foot of her bed? LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Lol, I thought about dumping it in the middle of her bed, but ugh that turns my stomach. I couldn't take this cat away from her - long history and long story, he means too much to her.
    wyldreams

Comment by wyldreams (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Get a pet carrier and have a friend take the cat for a couple of days. Get rid of the litter box. See how long it takes for her to notice IT and the cat are gone. Tell her that will be the way it is if she doesn't start doing it ON HER OWN with NO reminders from you! My lord! She's old enough to live on her own but because of your generosity (which seems to be biting YOU in the butt at the moment!) she has not had to do that but there is NO reason you should have to 1.) nag her to clean it or 2.) tell her more than once that it needs to be done DAILY!

You aren't actually getting rid of the cat, but you ARE getting her attention. Let her know you are serious....even if you wouldn't actually going to do it! GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Tell her if she does not do it DAILY then you will have to give the cat to a shelter. Threats are the only thing that work in my home. Sad, huh?
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Best thing to do is go on break for a week. Or invite her friends over to hang out with her, she will be embarrased and they will tell her how disgusting it is. Or you could inform her she is sleeping with fecal bacteria in her room and inform her of the dysentary and other disgusting diseases in cat feces.
    weirdjojo

Answer by weirdjojo at 3:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• 20 is hardly a child, put the cat outside along with the box. If she wants it back in shes gotta clean it.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• 20 year old "child?" Really? She will only continue to act like a child as long as you continue treating her like one.

Cat stays outside if she is not responsible for it. If that is not an option, give it to someone who will be responsible for it. That's not fair to the cat. Plus, your daughter is being manipulative because she knows how you view her relationship with the cat. If she truly cared for it, she would have been taking better care of it before age 20.

Make her get a job at a pet shelter.
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No getting rid of cat is not an option. as for putting it outside. I cant do that either, the HOA for our condo states all cats must be indoor cats.
    wyldreams

Comment by wyldreams (original poster) at 4:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I am feeling your pain- dealing w/ young adult children is like banging your head against a brick wall! Traditional punishments we used when they were under 18 no longer apply- and they know it! So they push to see just how far you'll go. Most (mine included) know that we wont throw them out. It's a dilema if she knows you wont get rid of the cat either. You could charge her for rent, & charge extra for doing chores that she should be doing. HItting mine in the wallet is about the only way I get thru. If you find another way that works, I'd love to hear it myself! :) I also like the bag of poop idea too! LOL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You are not teaching your child to be a responsible contributing member of your family. You are allowing her to be and do what she is and does. Own it and live with it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2010