I'm 17 and pregnant. Any advice?

Well i'm new to Cafemom. I'm 17. I'm 26 weeks pregnant. Due on March 27th. I need some advice on my pregnacy. Things like parenting. I'm new to all of this. I've baby sat before but i've heard it's all different. Also i know there is adoption. I'm a seinor in high school. Not sure if i'm ready for all of this.

Babygirl93

Asked by Babygirl93 at 3:33 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• ok...what do you want to know?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• What kind of advice? I don't know about being pregnant so young but I know someone who would and might be okay with me giving you some contact info would have to check.
    I've had two kids so I can answer some questions. If you just need to talk. Feel free to message away. I get bored easily and enjoy meeting new people.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 3:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My favorite group here is L-AMP Loving Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting. I think you will find lots of advice, loving support, and new parenting ideas there.

I was 18 when I was pregnant. My advice, first of all, is to relax. Adoption will always be an option. If you have your child and decide after a few weeks or months that you cannot handle parenting, your child will still be an infant and there will still be the option for adoption. In the meantime, my parenting advice is probably different than most people's. I don't jive with all the stuff in "what to expect..." and the other parenting and pregnancy books. I think you should go on instinct, your child will be very different from babysitting experiences. For instance, when I babysat, I did all the traditional things- bottles of formula, cribs, strollers, etc. But when I became a mother myself, I had different ideas- breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing...
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• all things that resulted from my deep desires of how to raise my daughter, when I thought about it and was exposed to those ideas. I don't know what your parenting ideas will be, but try to tune into your true desires and instincts and then don't let people block you from those because you are young.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 4:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I gonna throw this out there i work with teen moms in a center so I will be more then happy to talk with you one on one. PM me I will get back to you as soon as i can if not right away.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Its Scary Huh? Lol...Im !8 And Pregnant Too, Im About 23 Weeks. Alot Is Going Threw Ur Head By Now As I Can See. Seems Like Ur Serious About School Due That U Mention It In Ur Bio. Adoption Seems Like A Good Idea Now But At The End U Wouldnt Feel That It Was, Or U Dont Think U'll Be Able To Do It, But U'll Never Know If U Try :)...Baby-Sitting And Parenting Is Way Diff But U Did Worked With Kids :)...So That Should Be A Little Bit Off The Edge. Bellerose0212 Is Right About The Adotion thing, Think it over. Make a list about what ur goin to do during the pregnancy and after the pregnancy, have someone close to u help u out, like u mom, aunt, friend, other u trust, and start making some plans. Dont tress urself out, its not good for the baby or u. Dont give up on school, u cando it I know u can and ur ganna get through this...Keep ur head up and i wish u all the best.

Happy Holidays!
    EndlessM

Answer by EndlessM at 4:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Congradulations. I'm glad you found Cafemom, there's a lot of great advice here. Join some groups, I know there are some for young moms.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I know what you are going through. I was PG at 17 with my 1st DD. I, too, was a Sr. in HS. I'm 51 now. So, that was a time when it wasn't so common & not many ppl understood. And, there was no CM! Boy, do I wish there had been. LOL. First, don't let anyone tell you what you HAVE To do. Only YOU can do your own soul searching for yourself. 2nd, don't let anyone convince you that you CAN'T do this. YOU CAN! And, you can finish school without a problem. Kind of ironic, my 1st DD was due 3/27 too! LOL. It is a lot to think about & a lot to take in all at once. But, once you set your mind to it, everything starts falling into place as you go. Take time to experience your pregnancy. It really is a truly amazing experience. Don't let anyone take that away from you. There isn't enough space here to really give much advice. Feel free to PM me anytime you like. I've been where you are. I know how you feel & how hard it can be.

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I agree you need to do lots of soul searching and know that if you choose to do this You can do it. I agree about enjoying pregnancy. For me I never really enjoyed it, I was sick a lot and always felt stressed. I was 22 when I had my first child and when I had my 3rd I was 27 working full time with 2 toddlers and going to school. I graduated 3 months pregnant with my 3rd child, so you can do this. I would not listen to anyone about labor because everyone is different. As far as being a parent, I must say I love it. It is hard at times and it is fun at times. I usually go with my gut when it comes to parenting and so far it has worked pretty well.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Go to a parenting class. ask you doctor or your local hospital for resources for those and adoption.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:45 AM on Dec. 23, 2010