can a baby really have a eating disorder?

my 14m son will put his fingers so far in his mouth he throws up and he will keep doing it untill i actually swaddle him in a blanket so he cant get his hand up to his mouth. i've tried mittens on his hand, ignoring him, taking his hands out of his mouth... but all any of this does is start a temper tantrum and make him do it more. im really worried and out of ideas... anyone else had this happen with their kids?

thesouthernmom

Asked by thesouthernmom at 3:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with the pp - at this age, it's not an eating disorder, it's more a matter of they haven't fully made the "cause and effect" connection that they're gagging themselves until they vomit, combined with it gets a response out of you.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Babies do that at that age sometimes. No one really knows why. Both of my kids did it as babies. They outgrew it. I wouldn't make a big fuss over it or he'll do it more for a reaction from you.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's not an actual eating disorder. He's trying to get attention or get his way with something. I'd see if maybe there is a trigger for it and if you can't find any take him to his pedi and see what they reccommend.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes but it is more of not eatting as for bulimia no
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 5:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• IT is not an eating disorder. Children do this when they are babies/ toddlers. They chew on their hands usually when they are teething. And they have no idea they will throw up if they put their fingers too far down on their throat. If he does it more constantly to make you worried to get attention it is because you give him attention when he does it. It is not because he wants to throw up. It is because he knows if he throw up, mummy will come and give him attention. Ignore the fact he puts his finger down on his throat. If you won't make a drama from it, he will stop making this scene for you.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• my son was labeled with a "feeding disorder" when he was just one b/c he refused to eat. have you called your pedi yet? i agree with the pp that you shouldn't make a big deal or he will keep doing it.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No They could b picky eaters! My 2 kids r I don't know y they don't like to try new foods!!
    May787

Answer by May787 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would have his tonsils checked out... some children with really large tonsils try to reach back because their throat feels full. It might also be from teething pain from 2 year molars.
    It is for sure not an eating disorder.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:03 AM on Dec. 24, 2010