tampons (tmi i guess)

is it safe for a 12 yo girl to use tampons? my daughter wants to try them, she uses pads at the moment, but i dont have much experience with tampons, i tried them a few times and just didnt like them. do u have to wear a pad along with them cause i was wondering when u take them out wont u have a lil blood "down there", also will it affect her hymen?

_JustMe_

Asked by _JustMe_ at 3:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• You can use tampons, and it will not affect her hymen. They come in different sizes, I would suggest starting with the smaller (less absorbent) ones, and adjust up from there - it's better to use a less absorbent and change it more often than to put in a super absorbent one and leave it.

Personally, I also use a panty liner with mine, just in case, but you don't have to. Basically, take the old one out, put the new one in, wipe / clean yourself, and there isn't going to be a blood problem on your clothes. However, until she really gets the hang of using them and everything, it's good to have the panty liner, because it's not like a pad, where you can go to the bathroom and see it needs changing, so this would help in case she "leaks" because her tampon is full.

Sometimes for a virgin, a very small amount of vaseline on the applicator can help - but I would try it without doing this first.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It may or may not affect her hymen, it just depends. It is safe for her to use them as long as she does it safely and correctly. The longest you cann wear them is 8 hours. She needs to wash her hands before inserting one. You don't have to wear a pad with them but I would suggest at least a pantyliner or a thin pad with wings to go along with it. The reason is sometimes you can get a gush of fluid and if the tampon is soaked through it will come out and get on clothes if there isn't a pad. The smaller the tampon, the safer and the less it's in there the safer. It's important that she remembers to remove the tampon every time before inserting another and alo remove the last one at the end of the period. Many times girls and women have ended up in the e.r because they forgot about one in there and it caused infection and also got stuck. Make sure she reads the instructions well. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Oh - something else to keep in mind - depending on what her flow is like (at 12, this isn't super likely, but there is a chance - when my dd started her period, hers were "full length" and as regular as a clock, so it could happen...) - but anyway, depending on how heavy her flow is, you and she might want to consider getting something like a slender for the lighter days and, say, a regular for the heavy days.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:10 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Oh and one more thing" Playtex Gentle Glide are about the smoothest for going in. Plastic is smoother inserting than cardboard.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:12 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• yup what they said (plus inside the tampoon box is instructions with pictures and all) (i taught my self how to use tampoons i would use a panty liner just in case she cant get out of class to change it in time)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 5:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I couldn't wear tampons til after I had a kid. It just hurt waaay too bad. But, that is me. Now when I wear them I always wear a pantiliner with them... Helps prevent spots. =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• ty ladies, one more question ladies should i demonstrate on me how to insert it (we have a very open line of communication so she wouldnt get grossed out or anything, most times she is in the bathroom with me when i change my pads) or should i insert it in her first or should i let her learn by trial and error?? she wants to try them cause soon she will be starting swim on her swim team and also she will start track in the spring
    _JustMe_

Comment by _JustMe_ (original poster) at 5:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I really don't think you have to go to the extent of using yourself as a visual aid. The instructions in the tampon box are actually quite thorough with pics and all. Also, one poster suggested a bit of vaseline on the tip to aid insertion. Any gyno will tell you NOT to do this. As vaseline is a petroleum product, it does NOT break down and harbors bacteria. If she has troubles in the beginning (which is really unlikely) a small dab of KY lubricant will be MUCH better. It is water soluble and made specifically for feminine exams and lubrication.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My friend has two daughters and one is on the swim team and wants to use tampons now too...so my friend was telling me that she had to demonstrate on herself first. I'll tell you what not to do...what my mom did...she gave me the instruction paper from the inside of the box and told me to read it. I obviously didn't get it right and it hurt so bad that I was scared to use them again for many years.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• MommH2 thats what my mom did as well, it was terrible, i tried a few times after that but i just couldnt get use to it, i def dont want to traumatize my daughter, but i will demonstrate on my self (even tho i hate tampons lol)
    _JustMe_

Comment by _JustMe_ (original poster) at 7:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2010