y in the world

If your son/daughter has a fever over 100.0 please dont post and ask us what to do we are going to all say GO TO THE ER! why is that even a question?

premiemom18

Asked by premiemom18 at 5:26 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know! I get so irritated with posts like that. I think my "fave" (and I use that term loosely) was "My 2yo just got into a whole bottle of toilet bowl cleaner! It's all over her mouth! What should I do?". OMG!! REALLY? Your DD just got into a toxic toilet cleaner & you're waiting for CM moms to tell you what to do?
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Really?? You take your child to the ER when they have a fever over 100.0?? I don't. I give tylenol and/or motrin depending on how high it is. I also take a look at how a child is acting. If he (and I say he because all 4 of my children are boys) has a fever of 103, but is acting fine, I do not call the doctor. If he has a fever of 101, but is really lethargic, I will give the doc a call.

I've been a parent for a bit now. My older two are 22 and 20, but I remember in the beginning of my parenting, I used to call my mother a lot--sometimes even at 3am. There are some young mothers out there that have NO ONE to turn to and they are turning to those of us that have more experience. They truly don't know what to do and do not want to feel like they are bugging a doctor for trivial things. It would be nice to see others have more compassion in answering these questions.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I thought fever is from 100.4:P Eh I know what you mean. I usually get brain shot down when people ask questions about their health/sickness or their baby's temperature, rush, etc. How on the Earth we would know what can it be. If a baby has rash it can be from cold, flu, nappy rash but it can be measel or chicken pox. Ridiculous that people are so silly. If someone doesn't know what's going on with the baby just take him to the doctor straight away. Eh... I would just send every parents to a First Aid Course. Maybe they would pick up some common sense their as well. IT is so sad how many important things people don't know. I would just make it a part of the education at school. Nice utopia though.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Who takes a kid to the ER for 100? At least without some other very concerning symptoms. Must be the people who take them to the Dr. with the sniffles.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 11:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Umm, you do not need to take a child to the ER right away, and in most cases. Many parents give a fever reducer way too soon. I think some of you should talk to your pedi more, and/or get correct information. I would like to suggest this link for some of you to check out as well.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• There is no need to go to the ER with 100 fever. Every time I had the flu, my fever would be 104. Simply alternate motrin & tylenol every 4 hours to bring the fever down.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't take my kids to the ER when they have a fever. I give them Tylenol and a bath.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Mrsmom I usually tell them to see a dr as well.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 6:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• They may be new moms and not know. Let them ask and we are here to help. Please do not discourage people from asking sincere questions they need help with.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Who would take a kid to the ER for a fever that low? Just give Motrin.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010