Is it possible to have a $300.00 healthy food diet?

Me and my fiance are on a budjet of 300.00 doallors a month. So basically I would like to live off 10 bucks a day to feed us. And wondering is it possible to follow a healthy food guide ( candaian food guide) while trying to achieve this goal. Some of the things I already is don't buy red meat lots, make whole wheat pancakes, eat oatmeal, buy small fruit in bulk, limit my junk food intake, and use coupons whenever I can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• I feed my family of 5 on $300 a month. 2 of us have special diets do to allergies & diabetes. Don't buy processed foods. Cook from scratch in large batches & freeze extras. Use coupons. Shop sales & discount stores.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Absolutely.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 8:31 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Depends on where you live. We don't have a whole foods store within 40 miles of us and our farmers market is only a couple of stands on the good weeks (and it's been closed for a few months because of winter). We have 1 Walmart and 1 grocery store and without a lot of competition they are both really high. I could drive the 50 miles to the next state over and shop there, but I would still be spending a lot on gas. Right now I am spending about $600/month on food and household supplies for our family of 4 - and I do a lot of scratch cooking, use coupons and shop the sales.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would think you could no matter where you live. We feed our family of 6 on $400 a month. A third of my budget is produce, a third is meats and dairy, and then the other third is usually toiletries and staples (flour, beans, rice, toilet paper, deodorant, etc). I shop the clearance stuff first. The produce that is at its expiration date I buy and eat it right away or freeze it. Same with the meat I buy - I stick it right in the freezer. I RARELY buy something not on sale. I also use coupons.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Absolutely! Center your meals around whole grains, legumes and vegetables.

Send me a message if you would like recipes!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Cook from scratch and it will be healthy and inexpensive. Beans and rice are great. A few veg. $300 a month is a substantial budget for 2 people.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:27 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Sure I spend about $50 a week on groceries for a family of 4 and I'm a diabetic. I grow what I can, buy from farmers markets and local organic farmers, preserve and freeze.....and my weekly shopping is what I need to restock.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We are a family of three and eat of 400.00/month. Healthy eating only. We buy fresh fruits/veggies, organic,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Absolutely! We are a family of 3 and we spend a little under $300 a month on groceries and we eat all healthy; not the boxed preservative foods. I do a LOT of couponing so that really helps us in saving money. I have learned for us that it is better money-wise for us to do 1 large grocery trip a month and then on our 'off' weeks just buy the necessities if needed (something that's on sale and has a coupon) or milk, bread, etc. We have spent less money doing that. I also use multiple coupons as well to save at the store.
    greensavvymama

Answer by greensavvymama at 3:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes-absolutely. As everyone else said cook from scratch, make meals with more vegetables and less meat-or have meatless days. You can save a lot on cleaning supplies by using vinegar or baking soda instead of spending money on cleaners that don't work any better. Don't get prepared food-maybe once in a while as a treat. Have baked apples or homemade cookies for dessert. Get generic TP and other paper goods. Use coupons and look for things on sale. Try to find a farmer's market etc.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2010