Do you eat venison? If so how do you usually eat it?

I am so not a fan. but he got some and i won`t let it go to waste. Im tired of hamburger helper and chili and spaghetti...

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 6:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I always ground ours with pork butt (or ground pork from the butcher) If I have 50lbs of venison, I'll do 30-35lbs of pork. I then use it in place of ground beef in chili, tacos, meat loaf, enchiladas, spaghetti, tater-tot-casserole. We grill the back straps & tenderloin.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That's all we eat in this house...we do anything with it that you would do with beef. You can make burgers with it (but you will need to season a bit more) and we also make a lot of tacos with it.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I just LOVE venison. From the sounds of it, you are working with ground venison. You can make burgers with it. But, you might wanna mix a little regular HB with it to help it stick together since venison is a much leaner meat. You can use if for tacos, taco salad, sloppy joes, shephard's pie, meatloaf (again a mix to help bind), swedish meatballs, BBQ meatballs, really ANYTHING you'd use reg HB for, you can use the ground venison, as well.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I take the meat that is not ground, cut it into strips, roll in flour, salt and pepper. I then fry it in a bit of Crisco. with lots of sliced onions.
    momof4treasures

Answer by momof4treasures at 6:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I've tried it as a steak, as sausage & as jerky. I'm not a fan either. I dont like that gamey taste. Make some baby back ribs. My husb watched a cooking show (you could visit some websites) & does a delicous rub and lets it cook for a while before adding some of his suculent sauce. It's fall off the bone & messy, but worth every bite! It's a big hit here! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• that is really 80% of our redmeat here. We almost always grind it, except for the tenderloins, or backstrap which we do alot with. I do not mix ours with other meats or fats.
    With ground venison we do any and all recipes that ask for ground beef.
    The tenderloins can be made into any recipe asking for beef stew or steak. I have it butterflied, and fry it with a light batter, or make a chickenfried batter with gravy, breakfast steaks are good with it, grill it into fajitas.
    If your field dressing and shooting of the animal is done correctly, the meat is NEVER gamey.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:42 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Steak I would chop up an onion and cook it all together then I would add whatever you like to make Swiss steak I always do ketchup for mine, make goulash, spanish rice, chili,tacos, hamburgers just treat it like you would any beef. I always added more sausage or regular beef with mine so it wouldn't be so gamey.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wish because I hear it's good but my dad used to cook it and it was so gamey. He would soak it in milk overnight to get rid of the gamey taste to no avail. I hear it's the best type of red meat out there because it's wild. If someone cooked it, dressed it, shot it right, I would probably try it again.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't eat it. To me, it's like eating Bambi!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• it is all we use here...we just use it in place of beef.. or mix it with other meats.. like the other day I made a 3 meat lasagna with venison, beef and pork.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 8:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2010