Not quite ignoring prayer requests - but some might take it wrong. Would you?

Sometimes I see prayer requests - and while I do stop, always, and pray for the person asking for prayer, I seldom (meaning sometimes I do) ask God to give them exactly what they're asking for. God taught me a good lesson a long time ago about praying for selfish things, so I stopped.
Now, that doesn't mean that I don't get on my knees and ask him for specifics sometimes, and certainly if I see a request for someones health and/or life, I pray that God touches/heals/protects, etc, whatever the need. But more times than not, when I see a prayer request for stuff like "'pray for me so that I can get my way, what I want, when I want it'", then I do tend to pray for that person's relationship with God instead and I pray that God shows them the value of being selfless.
Just and example - not meant towards anyone specifically (It might not be in God's will for your estranged husband to come home; what if your husband is being left where he is because God needs him there for a specific purpose or God is using that time to teach you both how to have a stronger marriage? Would you rather have your way even if it meant that someone else might suffer or what if it meant the difference between having a strong marriage or prolonging a divorce?) Are you willing to be selfless for God's will? Even when it hurts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In regards to myself, I always ask for God's will to be done and am willing to accept that. However, if someone else asks me to pray for something specific and I tell them I will - then I pray for what they asked, because to do otherwise would be lying. God knows why I'm asking for the things I'm asking Him for.

Answer by missanc at 7:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I never ask God to give myself or anyone else exactly what they are asking for. I myself only ever pray with Gratitude and for Wisdom. For others I ask that his will be done in that circumstance. Really, I want for nothing and am willing to be selfless for God's will, for God's gifts are greater than anything I've imagined in the past. If I ask for specifics for anyone, that would be limiting the results. With God, graces and gifts are endless. I think with lots of experience in the Walk and with much Maturity in the Experience, waiting and being patient for what God willl provide eventually is not painful.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I haven't seen any
    cris1961

Answer by cris1961 at 7:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• The prayer requests that I see here are mainly pretty general. The mom describes her need and asks for prayer. I gladly pray, and I know that their needs will already be known.

Answer by Bmat at 8:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• LOL Cris1961 -- haven't seen any what?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Each one has to be uniquely considered. Prayer itself begins with God. We are just His instruments.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• In all things I pray for God's will to be done. I won't pray for a million dollars to fall into someone's lap, but I will pray for financial burdens to be lifted. When I pray for health I also pray for strength and peace for the family members. I get what you are saying, and I think I'm the same way. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:45 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think you have an excellent attitude towards this and I agree with you.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I pray that whatever is best for the person will happen, and I always pray for them to have the strength to handle whatever it is.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I tend to believe Gods will is going to occur regardless, but I also believe prayer is a powerful thing. If you look at the definition of Witchcraft from the times the Bible was written, it means to manipulate, or a person who manipulates. Trying to pray something contrary to what a person wants into their life is Manipulation, and therefore witchcraft and wrong, but Biblical definition. If someone was praying something into my life I didn't want, I'd be Really Pissed Off. That's why I am VERY careful who I make prayer requests to, and what I ask. There is nothing worse in my mind than a manipulator or deceiver, and someone saying they will pray for someone and not following their request makes both.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 12:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010