For fellow Atheists..."A holiday message from Ricky Gervais:WHy I'm an Atheist"

I think he made some really good points; and talks about things we encounter often.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/19/a-holiday-message-from-ricky-gervais-why-im-an-atheist/?blog_id=120&post_id=56643

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Very interesting. He did make some very good points, in a non-judgemental way.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That was awesome!  He summed it up in a very neat and easy to understand package.  Thanks for posting this, I'm sending it to all my atheist friends and my pushy Baptist neighbour lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:10 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I read this last night in a group I'm in...I like it a lot.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• "Science is humble. It knows what it knows and it knows what it doesn’t know. It bases its conclusions and beliefs on hard evidence -­- evidence that is constantly updated and upgraded. It doesn’t get offended when new facts come along. It embraces the body of knowledge."

"The gifts of truth, science, nature. The real beauty of this world."

"No one owns being good. I’m good. I just don’t believe I’ll be rewarded for it in heaven. My reward is here and now."

---

I'm going to answer this, because I don't believe in a supernatural creator god. I LOVE Ricky Gervais! SO MANY things to agree with here, but the ones listed above ^^^^^^ I totally agree with! Anything I 'believe' or practice has to go along with science, reason, and logic, and if it doesn't I consider it false or irrelevant.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I read this the other day, someone posted on FB and while I don't consider myself an Atheist, I'm more Agnostic I think....I thought this was great... my favorite quote is "When confronted with anyone who holds my lack of religious faith in such contempt, I say, “It’s the way God made me.”

Hilarious!

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:20 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That was fantastic!

Usually, I pick out a favorite line or two to illustrate what I thought of an article or essay, but then I'd have to copy and paste nearly the entire thing. Really, really amazing. . . thanks for sharing it!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• “Do unto others…” is a good rule of thumb. I live by that. Forgiveness is probably the greatest virtue there is. But that’s exactly what it is -­‐ a virtue. Not just a Christian virtue. No one owns being good. I’m good. I just don’t believe I’ll be rewarded for it in heaven. My reward is here and now. It’s knowing that I try to do the right thing. That I lived a good life"

This bit really sums it up nicely I think.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'll have to have a look at this later, so I'm responding so I wont forget :-)

Armonia

Answer by Armonia at 10:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That was GREAT! ANd I agree with that part too,Kristi11384. It really does sum it up , for me anyway!
    I am saving that.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2010