How do you deal with motion sickness?

My daughter gets so sick in cars,amusement rides, boats, etc..

Alyssa_Harper

Asked by Alyssa_Harper at 8:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like you guys need to do alot of walking! Also check with her family pediatrician
    SweetEarth

Answer by SweetEarth at 9:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's very difficult. I had this as a child, and still do. My parent's used to put me in the front seat, which really helped, but you can't do that now. In the car, tell her to not look out the side window. The scenery flashing by, and trying to adjust my eyes, is what made me feel sick. Reading is a no-no. Wish I could be of more help. Closing my eyes and napping on long trips helped.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Thank You.
    Alyssa_Harper

Comment by Alyssa_Harper (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I was like that - I can't even be on a swing set without getting sick. My 5 year old is the same way. A couple things I have learned:

Eat an hour (at least) before getting in the car.
    Sit as close to the front as possible and/or in the middle so they can see out the front.
    NO reading, games, or watching movies.
    Cloudy weather is the best for traveling, bright sunlight is the WORST (not that you can plan that)
    Get out and walk and get fresh air every couple of hours - if they are feeling sick, STOP the car and get out for a few minutes.
    We carry a beach bucket in our van at all times - our throw up bucket! :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:42 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Ditto - the closing your eyes and sleeping - BEST thing to do. Even as an adult, I would get in a behicle and immediately get sleeping after years of training myself to just go to sleep. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• im 27 and still get that way!! best thing that works for me is cranking up the music..takes my mind off things...what about giving your child some gravol beforehand?
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:05 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• There is a motion sickness band out you wear on your wrist, I think it is called 'seaband'. You just put it on like a bracelet, it fits snug and there is a pressure point built in. I don't know why this works but it sure helped our daughter when she was young.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 2:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I get it really bad and I know this sounds crazy but eat an apple lol it works great
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2010

• My LO had it so bad, he loved car rides but always threw up in car, our doctor said to give him benadryl, I also had to do this for a pet/dog once too but only for a long trip. though 20 -30 minutes in car for little one was enough to make him sick.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 10:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2010

• I make sure my son is looking out the front of the car the majority of the trip. Looking out the side windows or down at a game or book makes things worse. Also, have crackers and water on hand, as well as gum or mints.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2010