three week old sleeping through the night w/ no feeding

My three week old is close or at 7 pounds right now and last night I fed her at 10:30 and didn't wake her for a feeding until morning at 8:30. Is this bad? Will this dehydrate her? The past few days she would go maybe 7 hours but she went 10 this time and I don't know if this is helping her get a schedule or hurting her. Plz help!

JuJu1989

Asked by JuJu1989 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was worried when my son did that. I was actually waking him up to feed him (like they had me doing in the hospital). When we saw the doctor when he was a week old, she said not to wake him, it was fine. He'd wake up if he was hungry.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That's GREAT!!!! You are one of the lucky few. :D

Two of my kids did that. Just a warning, don't get too excited. Your baby will have periods of waking several times during the night over the next 18 months. :D My 13 month old slept through the night at 3 weeks, for the next 6-9 months. Now he is up several times during the night to nurse. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:37 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• yes, dont ever wake a baby to eat!! I never understood why nurses tell u that crap in the hospital! If baby is hungry, they are def gonna let u know. :D congrats!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 11:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It may never happen again, you know, now that you've published it!

As long as dipes are good, not a problem. They know what they need, better than we do a lot of the time!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• have a good nightI got mad when a nurse was trying to wake my daughter for a feeding. Babies know when they're hungry, wet, dirty, etc. They will let you know. I just look for hunger cues. I firmly believe you never wake a sleeping baby. Count your blessings.

bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010