Horse owners?

Have any of you ever had to put a horse down? How did you feel about it and what were the circumstances surrounding the decision? My x and I had to out his horse down..I felt it was the wrong decision, she had a leg that bothered her from time to time, nothing bad..the x had her on glucosomine supplements and she would run around like nothing was wrong at all most of the time. We boarded her an hour away from us outside of the city, we didn't have a place for her. The people who cared for her called us one night and said she was sick and that she had fallen. We went down bright and early the next morning to find they were painting the inside of the barn and had her locked up inside! When I walked in that barn it was a wall of fumes that almost knocked me on my ass, it smelled sooo bad it gave me an immediate headache. I let her outside and well, to make a long story short, she fell again and they all decided "when a horse starts falling down it's time to put her down" they brought in the vet and injected her and killed her!!! I can barely live with myself because I didn't speak up and stop them. It was my x's horse, not mine, I had only known her 4 yrs. and the other people were "horse people" and I'm a city girl. I felt I had no voice at the time but I should have stopped it! I don't know what to do with the guilt and the memories.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Whilst it is a horrible situation to find yourself in...and your feelings are completley understandable, you won't achieve anything by feeling that way..you're just beating yourself up. As you said, it wasn't your horse...it was your ex's and therefore not really your responsibility nor your choice. It sounds like you really loved the horse and took time to make it happy- so focus on THOSE memories...the nice memories you had of your time with the horse and not its last day.

I think even if you had spoke up it wouldn't have acheived anything...it sounds like they had made their minds up and it probably was in the horse's best interests too if it kept falling. At least it didn't suffer too much or injure itself horrifically before being allowed to rest. Take care and try not to dwell x
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 10:02 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My point was that I felt like it was the fumes that made her sick. They made me headachy and dizzy after just spending 5 minutes in there with her and she had been locked in all weekend with them painting.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Someone had poisoned our horse and we had to put her down because there was nothing else that could have been done.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• They probably did the right thing. You probably only could have spoken up and been heard had you been willing to take the horse and care for it, otherwise, that decision is out of your hands. Stop beating yourself up, it won't help. It's so hard putting an animal down, and it's very hard to make that decision.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2010