How do I get my son to stop throwing temper tantrums?

I know they call it the terrible twos for that reason, I get that. But what can you do about it? I have tried ignoring him, telling him no, even spanking him, and nothing works. He screeches instead of telling me what he wants or needs too, and I don't know what else to do but put my hand over his mouth, and when I do that he starts hitting and scratching me. Is there anything I can do to get him out of this phase quicker?

crayolamoo

Asked by crayolamoo at 7:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignoring the behavior, not him, is the best way to go. Have you tried time out? Let him know that what he's doing is wrong and is not acceptable. Let him have his tantrum. At that age they still can't communicate and can be very frustrating. Watch a couple of episodes of Supernanny. It really works! lol GL!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Ignore the tantrum. It will get worse before it gets better...they do it because you react to it.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Also, I meant that they cant communicate AS WELL. there are so many things that they still cant do and/or express. It will pass! hang in there! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• And keep in mind that if he can talk then thats what he has to do to get what he wants. Dont give him anything unless he asks for it. He knows that his fits will get him what he wants so you have to stop making it so easy for him. Hes smart and has learned to manipulate you
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Should I even go as far as leaving the room if I have to?
    crayolamoo

Answer by crayolamoo at 7:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• SPANK HIM OR PUT HIM IN TIME OUT !
    Anonymous