different religious beliefs in a marriage

What if when you got married neither of you were practicing a religion. However one was rasied in the church their whole life but had fallen away a t the time you met and married.
After a couple of years they felt like they wanted to go back. They also want to raise your childern in it.
Would you feel betrayed? Even if it was never talked about before hand. Would you feel forced into this religion? Would you say no to raisng them in that religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• YOU don't have to be that religion.

I believe children should be taught about all religions.

IMHO it would greatly depend on what the religion was though.
    Anonymous

• Why wouldn't you have talked at length about such a serious matter prior to getting married? I wouldn't feel betrayed, it would have been my own fault for getting involved with someone that I didn't feel comfy with their background religion. Even if they said they'd fallen away...it's most likely ingrained in their being. The couple should see a counselor for an objective view. And a good counselor will not put their religious beliefs into the mix.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I think you it should be talked about, i mean my hubby and i are two totally diff. religions and we talked about what we both belive in and say thats what we will teach them but recently me and the kids just started to go to church and after i went to it a few times i talked my hubby in to going and he said he actully liked it even though there were believe differnces.. so has you can see i think it should be talked about and you should both agree on it
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 7:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• talked about before hand as in "I do not believe in that anymore" so it is not an issue.

It is really hard to believe in something you think is a lie! Why would I want to teach my children a lie!
    Anonymous

• i'm agnthiest {word i made up} and my hubbs is non denominational christian...i told him he can teach them about christianity but they will not be raised as such, only taught different religions so they can choose on their own...he does not disagree.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 7:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• so he does not take them to church?
    Anonymous

• no, he doesn't even go himself. i would rather they didn't either, no matter how much tolerance they preach they are still toxic places. i don't let my children go to places like that without me and well, when the parents find out i am not of their faith, my children suffer. i would rather they did not be around people like that.-we have been to 6 different churches from baptist to nondenominational. all of them were the same.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• no i don't think i would feel betrayed. you should have talked about before you married but i think neither one of you is right over the other. i think you need to respect your husband and let the kid go. if when they are adults they don't want to then they don't have to but as a child the child should do what the parent says. so you can support him or argue over it. also this child would have the choice to decide what religion they have gone to is for them or not. thats why it's best to marry someone of the same faith.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I wouldn't fell betrayed if you hadn't talked about it and knew about it. That is something very important that you Should talk about before marriage! Now that it is brought up, you both need to set down and disuss it like two adults. I have seen a lot of marriages where one believes one religion and the other another religion. Like I said this is something you two need to discuss before making any discission.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• the children should have a choice. you dont have to go. have him go.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2008