Happy Holy Day to All!

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form. The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg.

The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

christmas service

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 9:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• I wonder why people would be upset then, when people say Happy HOLIday, instead of merry christmas?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't know sahm. Are the upset?

Personally, I PREFER" Merry Christmas", since Christ is the reason for the season. :-)
    SavageGrl

Comment by SavageGrl (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• oops*they
    SavageGrl

• Well from the many discussions on here alone, it seems some people do get upset when people say Happy Holidays. If HOLIday is from a word meaning "holy days" why would people get upset over it? Just wondering.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I say Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

but yesterday I told people "Happy Winter" for the pagans out there I respect others view I just wish they'd respect mine.... Even if youre not a believer what is wrong with telling a person who is a believer "Merry Christmas"--- it doesnt mean YOU believe it it is simply as stated you hope they enjoy what they believe
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• And the question is?

I posted about this a little while ago when this section was rife with all the questions about why non-Christians would want to celebrate on December 25th, and whether or not Christmas was under attack.  I asked if the word "holiday" should be relegated to holy days because of its origins, since some Christians do not want non-Christians to be able to celebrate on December 25th or to call it Christmas unless they accept the belief that the only reason to celebrate that day is if we believed that it was Jesus' birthday.

So. . . Happy Holidays!  Seasons' Greetings!

happy holidays

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:28 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yea, I'm aware. I'm not quite sure why this is in religious debate, though. There's actually a Holidays category. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:41 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• santa blue

LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Merry Christmas, and Happy HolyDay to you, as well, dear friend!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm pretty sure we all know the definition of holiday and how it was derived from "Holy days". What is the point of your "question"?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 23, 2010