We need to start going to church. I don't believe but I should give my children a fair shot...

We only have Christian choices here. I don't like this but this is where we live. Anyways, do all Christian based religions believe that being gay is wrong? It states that in the bible, right? I'm not gay, but I'm not against it and I think it's hateful to be against it so I don't want to support it.

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe you can attend the church they want to go to see if you're comfortable with it. Although I'm Christian, I don't think you should allow your children to do something your not comfortable with. Just like I wouldn't send my children somewhere I'm not comforable with. Maybe see if there's a non-demoniational church in your area. Look up websites on the churches in your area and see what their statement of faith is and maybe listen to some sermons if they have them. Look at the ministies and such to see if you are comfortable with your first impression. Also, you don't have to believe everything the pastor says. I still had very untraditional Christian beliefs for about a year and a half until I recieved personal revelation of the Truth (it had nothing to do with homosexuality). Sometimes we have to sit through a couple services before feeling comfortable. Good luck!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Not all do, but if you're really doing this to educate your kids instead of your own faith - see if you have a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship nearby. They have a great religious ed program for kids that covers everything, not just one religion or one interpretation of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• So why on earth would you take them somewhere that they teach things you don't agree with?

There's nothing wrong with not believing and not going to church... so why should you take them?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 10:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You don't "need" to go to church. You can educate your kids at home without having churchgoers shove their mumbo jumbo down all of your throats. That's why the internet is awesome, you get all your info from there without having to go anywhere. =P
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:39 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm with the first poster. A lot of agnostics will go to the Universal church as well. I'd try it and see if its for you :)
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• why not educate them about religion at home? You can get a children's bible for them, mythology books for kids and I'm sure there are kids books for all kinds of other beliefs as well. Give them the knowlege of all different kinds of beliefs and when they are old enough they can keep learning and exploring and find what works for them...

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If you don't believe, then there is no reason to start attending a church... if you wish to educate your children, get books
    do research on line about all different religions...
    To be honest, by attending a church if you don't believe and to educated your children is only going to make you
    uncomfortable and it's only forcing something on your children that they may truly not be interested in...
    As a pp stated, try finding a UU church in your area, but if you don't believe and only want to fit in (not being rude)
    then you are doing it for ALL the wrong reasons...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You have the internet, right? When they ask a question about christianity you can help them find the information they need to see both sides of this religion. If you send them to church they will only get ONE side of the religion. And if it scares them half as much as it did me, I don't think you're going to want to put them through that fear. You can give them a more unbiased view of christianity, or buddhism, or islam, or whatever than any church can. So I advise against it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I remember living in small towns and getting that look for not going to church. Best way around it if you do not want to get outted is to tell them you do all your religious practices at home. They don't have to know than what your practices or lack of practices are. Espically with people like the Duggars and all on TV more and more people just assume you are christian and got sick of church politics and are running a church out of your home.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Some Christians are against it some aren't. I brought up my kids in Christians schools, and when my son who is 10 younger than his sisters got to high school and they put homosexuals down he had a really hard time with it because he adores his gay sister. I just told him to smile and nod, that he knew better than them who she was.

Answer by older at 10:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2010