Kids counting presents

I have a son who is 3 and our Niece is 10.. this year she noticed under grandmas tree, they have the same amount of presents and got upset.. she is far from a selfish child and helps everyone out and is the sweetest girl.. I told her that at her age, her gifts are more expensive but I can't help but to feel bad.. she doesn't have her dad in the picture so she does get spoiled by the "other family" that our son does, so I am wondering if I should go out and get her more than the 3 presents we got her so she has more.. i remember counting presents but I had a sibling and that's different.. what do you think?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you handled it well. At 10 she is old enough to understand that her gifts are more expensive. It might help if grandma also told her the same thing, but I'm sure she'll get over it as soon as she starts opening them.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• At 10 she's old enough to understand. Get her what you planned. You cannot make up for everytime the world is unfair. It's just like kids learning that they don't get gifts on everyone else's birthdays.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would leave it. They have the same amount. Why does she need more?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No, you shouldn't go out and get her more. You've already explained it to her and she needs to learn to be grateful for what she gets.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• yeah, dont do anything else. She will be ok!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:53 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't. I think kids should be thankful they get presents period. We have 2 kids, and they don't have the same amount of presents (mainly because one is a baby and she can't count anyway).
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Shes 10 for crying out loud. If she was 5 I would understand.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No. She needs to learn now that just because she wants something she cannot always have it. Let what you said be that. She will turn into a brat if not careful...
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:03 AM on Dec. 23, 2010